Why become a member? ×

Is this normal?

Bass-ic

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='356692' date='Dec 17 2008, 09:58 AM']If you're playing the same thing over and over soon it grows monotanous and ends up feeling like you're not getting anywhere/getting worse. Try varying what you're doing.[/quote]

why thank you 'o gorgeous one'

I did in fact come accross this problem a while ago, and then i posted a thread about what people thought a beginner should learn. The response was good andf Ive learnt music that I wouldnt normally listen to. I still have a way to go befor e i master everything that folk here recommended.

It was fun to learn stuff like this.

XXX

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='356693' date='Dec 17 2008, 10:04 AM']why thank you 'o gorgeous one'

I did in fact come accross this problem a while ago, and then i posted a thread about what people thought a beginner should learn. The response was good andf Ive learnt music that I wouldnt normally listen to. I still have a way to go befor e i master everything that folk here recommended.

It was fun to learn stuff like this.

XXX[/quote]
LOL O gorgeous one? Now I know you're delusional. :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='356491' date='Dec 16 2008, 10:56 PM']I hear what youre all saying, but I just dont know enough to play in a band right now. My knowledge is pretty limited.

Matt[/quote]

Hi Matt,

Have you considered going to some jam nights. There's a few going on around Bristol, mostly blues and/or rock based. Some in particular are not elitist & people at all levels have a go for a bit of fun really.
A drummer mate of mine, who is quite good, but doesn't think he his etc, reluctantly came to one with me few weeks ago, & thoroughly enjoyed it. He's now got some confidence back & is gagging to get in a band. If you fancy coming to one or a pint in the new year, give me shout.
If it's any consolation most us go through these phases!

Good luck & all the best for 2009

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='366322' date='Dec 30 2008, 03:35 PM']Cheers Nick, I might give that a go.

where do they take place?

All the best in '09

Matt[/quote]

Hi Matt,

Heres a couple

[url="http://bristol.gumtree.com/bristol/99/32557299.html"]Portcullis[/url] I like this one.
[url="http://bristol.gumtree.com/bristol/44/32459844.html"]Farriers[/url]

List of them here including folk,acoustic,jazz etc, not sure how up to date they are:
[url="http://www.open-mic.me.uk/"]Open Mic[/url]

If you ever fancy going to one & having a pint, give me a PM if you like.

Cheers

Edited by nick

You do sound like you're in a rut, as Sarah observed - I think the lessons might be the solution (this is a conclusion that I've come to for myself) . You might then correct what technique problems you have and sound better for it. If you sound more fluid, you should then feel more confident.

Edited by Geek99

I agree.

Nick, thanks for the listings Ill have a good look and I will certainly give you a yell if Im heading out to one.

I have had some problems trying to find a bass tutor (as discussed in another thread) but i am hoping that this will be sorted soon!

Cheers
Matt

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='356301' date='Dec 16 2008, 07:32 PM']I think this must be me.
I've been playing for about a year now, teaching myself and trying do it properly with scales and a warm up routine.
How is it that recently I seem to be getting worse?

Is this normal?[/quote]

the learning curve isnt always upwards..fatigue and some residual lack of inertia can come about
before long if you stick it out you will find a big jump up
it took me 3 years to really get proficient at clarinet...and possibly the same with bass
you are doing ok the way you are doing it
if possible learn bass clef notation as well
and the secret in teaching and learning is to have some fun...so have a 'play time' where you just noodle...it eases the mind a bit
cheers

[quote name='Clarky' post='356470' date='Dec 16 2008, 10:38 PM']After a brief spell in bands in my late teens I only played bedroom bass for 20 years. I was rubbish. I have made leaps and bounds since joining a band three years ago. Its the only way to develop your musicality, timing and confidence IMHO. I still struggle with scales (apart from major, I mean whats the difference between melodic minor and minor????!) but doesn't really hold me back.[/quote]Do you mean the relative minor coming off the 6 th note of a major scale?

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='356301' date='Dec 16 2008, 07:32 PM']I think this must be me.
I've been playing for about a year now, teaching myself and trying do it properly with scales and a warm up routine.
How is it that recently I seem to be getting worse?
Is this normal?[/quote]

Yea, normal.
I've been doing this for 8 months, initially taking it very easy because I had a touch of RSI. Now OK.

I'm in that classic position between 2 & 3, just like Skankdelvar says.

So much good advice in all the posts.

I like wateroftyne's idea. Just go and chat people up. I've got one mate who's a really rusty guitarist, but I have to take my bass round to him, and there's a supermarket manager with a Gibson & a Fender hanging on the wall as ornaments. There are hundreds and thousands like them out there. Go for it.
Balcro.

Edited by Balcro

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='356491' date='Dec 16 2008, 10:56 PM']I hear what youre all saying, but I just dont know enough to play in a band right now. My knowledge is pretty limited.

Matt[/quote]

All the same you just have to leap in or you'll always feel like that, when I started my first band I think all I knew was 'Anther One Bites The Dust'... just do it and think about it afterwards, it's amazing what you learn the minute you start playing with a drummer, it's the real deal.

Keep at it, real progress takes time and patience, I feel like I'm just getting there after 24 years, it really is a long game music, with no shortcuts.

Mike

[quote name='steve-soar' post='366406' date='Dec 30 2008, 05:01 PM']Do you mean the relative minor coming off the 6 th note of a major scale?[/quote]
That'd be the natural/harmonic minor; the melodic minor is an annoying theory where the ascending and descending forms are different from each other - supposedly because it sounds better in melody lines.