Why become a member? ×

Caline CP-60 Bass DI Driver- Wine Cellar

Bleat

Hello,

Has anyone tried or own one of these ? I can find very little info on them, but I am guessing they are meant to be some sort of Sansamp copy... Caline seem to regarded as being pretty decent for the money. I'm waiting for one to arrive currently so will find out for myself at some point soon!... 

James.

🎸

• Like 1

Hi Mr Valdemar and Mr 5.

First impressions... it's a great looking bit of kit, the design is really nice and quite tasteful I think! ( not sure where the name "Wine Cellar" was conjoured up from though!) It does not take batteries just runs off a 9v power supply but Caline do include a free battery clip in the box.

I have have watched a few Caline guitar effects pedal videos and they do seem to be very favourable, with guitarists saying how close they are to the actual pedal they are based on.

Not having tried the actual Sansamp, I can only compare it by the several YouTube vids of Sansamps I watched for a rough comparison … Listening through Audio Technica ATH M50 x studio headphones…..can't hear much difference to be fair.... ! Works the same and certainly is well in the ballpark....It's a powerful bit of kit.

It is most definitely worth the 35.99 new price I paid, which is not bad for an all metal case, XLR output, and true bypass footswitch. At the very least it's an ideal backup device and also a more robust option than the Behringer BDI plastic thing and very little in the way of tonal difference … and you get a free battery clip and little stick on rubber feet thrown in the box also.

Sorry it's not a proper "review" but it certainly gets a big thumbs up from me!

Also just to add that there is another version of this in a slightly less attractive red case , called CP-59 Press pass. Apparently has a slightly more "modern sound" to it (whatever that might be).

If I can get round to doing a couple of demo clips at different settings , I will do, but I need get some new strings at the moment.

Cheers

James.

20190607_084926 (2).jpg

20190607_085003 (2).jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Bleat said:

Hi Mr Valdemar and Mr 5.

First impressions... it's a great looking bit of kit, the design is really nice and quite tasteful I think! ( not sure where the name "Wine Cellar" was conjoured up from though!) It does not take batteries just runs off a 9v power supply but Caline do include a free battery clip in the box.

I have have watched a few Caline guitar effects pedal videos and they do seem to be very favourable, with guitarists saying how close they are to the actual pedal they are based on.

Not having tried the actual Sansamp, I can only compare it by the several YouTube vids of Sansamps I watched for a rough comparison … Listening through Audio Technica ATH M50 x studio headphones…..can't hear much difference to be fair.... ! Works the same and certainly is well in the ballpark....It's a powerful bit of kit.

It is most definitely worth the 35.99 new price I paid, which is not bad for an all metal case, XLR output, and true bypass footswitch. At the very least it's an ideal backup device and also a more robust option than the Behringer BDI plastic thing and very little in the way of tonal difference … and you get a free battery clip and little stick on rubber feet thrown in the box also.

Sorry it's not a proper "review" but it certainly gets a big thumbs up from me!

Also just to add that there is another version of this in a slightly less attractive red case , called CP-59 Press pass. Apparently has a slightly more "modern sound" to it (whatever that might be).

If I can get round to doing a couple of demo clips at different settings , I will do, but I need get some new strings at the moment.

Cheers

James.

20190607_084926 (2).jpg

20190607_085003 (2).jpg

Very tempting! Thanks for the review.

• 5 weeks later...

that's about a tenth of the original pedal's price. I get the whole "if everybody bought the knockoffs then the originators will die out" argument, but if it lets someone try it out rather than wait til they had a spare $350 sitting around,then so be it.Some will never have that much to blow on one pedal,I understand that. There are enough people like me who like to reward the inventor, to keep Tech 21 et al in business. Buy what you can afford and upgrade when your finances allow.

I'm pretty certain Tech 21 are not too worried about their business collapsing because of Caline  selling a few bass driver clone pedals.

To be fair to them, Caline don't pretend they are innovating or coming up with original designs, so that's ok with me... I knew what I was buying and as pointed out... clone pedals are a good option to go for when money isn't there to invest in the "real deal", or to simply see if it's the right thing that is needed for required setup. Both points are valid in my case... I would mostly certainly get a Sansamp at this point if I had the cash to do it as I *now know*  it's the right thing I was looking for, which wouldn't happen at all without the purchase of the Caline pedal!

On a similar note, I also bought a Caline pressure tank compressor as it is based on the much more expensive to get hold of Diamond compressor. I like that style of compression but found it wasn't what I was looking for in my current small pedal setup so I sold it.... 

I have a lot less respect for the likes of Behringer who rip off other companies inventions and think throwing the word "Ultra- * randomly into every bloody sales ad makes it look like something new and exciting they have come up with themselves. 

🤪

It seems to have the same layout as Dr. J D53 Sparrow Driver and DI but missing a ground lift. 

I don't think it has that much of a similarity to the Sansamp except that they are both maybe going for an Ampeg in a box thing. To be fair lots of bass pedals do. The Caline is lacking a lot of the the features of the BDDI. 

Looks totally worth the money though.