T-Bay

Alan Entwistle pickup

I picked up an Alan Entwistle pickup from a fellow basschatter to replace the dodgy bridge pickup on my bitsa Jazz. It has a Seymour Duncan in the neck slot. First impressions were that it seems to be of a decent quality for the money (not expensive new) and is supplied with a sensible length of wire with soldered ends. All good so far. It’s deeper than a standard Jazz pickup but most after market ones are. When I came to fit it I found that the plastic cover will not fit in a standard Jazz slot - the corners are a bit too square to fit it. It’s not far off but enough that you would need to open the slots up which I wasn’t prepared to do. The pickup NEARLY fits in the standard Jazz cover but the wire outlet fouls it. Five minutes with a Dremel and it was good to go.

Once fitted I had a play. As you would expect it’s a much lighter sound than the Duncan bridge pickup but pleasant all the same with a bright top end. Adding it mid dial against a full dial (hope that makes sense] bridge adds a nice mid range punch that wasn’t there before. As the original wasn’t working I can’t compare it to that sadly but for a budget pickup I am impressed with the quality and sound. I don’t know if the figment issue would be different on other Jazzes but that was the only issue encountered. Verdict - 8/10

• Like 1

I've installed quite a few different Entwistle pick ups in customer's guitars and basses and have been impressed with all of them. The Neo Jazz bass ones being a particular favourite. 

Their Smooth track pots are also a great upgrade.

• Like 2

I have the Entwistle Neo P & J pickups in my Bass Collection 4-string.

Great sound, huge improvement over the original pickups. Punchier, louder, very responsive when I dig in.

And for the cost.....an absolute bargain.

I've fitted a couple of the JBXN and PBXN pickups, plus a PBX. All were great quality pickups, the JBXN and PBXN's had huge output.
Although the PBX was a decent pickup too - just not as loud as the XN version.

Last one I fitted - I discovered that the old pickup covers just fitted straight onto the pickup, with no modifications. So I didn't need to enlarge the scratchplate slot.
So if you're fitting Entwistle pickups - might be worth trying this, to avoid having to dremmel out the pickup slots in your guard :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marc S said:

I've fitted a couple of the JBXN and PBXN pickups, plus a PBX. All were great quality pickups, the JBXN and PBXN's had huge output.
Although the PBX was a decent pickup too - just not as loud as the XN version.

Last one I fitted - I discovered that the old pickup covers just fitted straight onto the pickup, with no modifications. So I didn't need to enlarge the scratchplate slot.
So if you're fitting Entwistle pickups - might be worth trying this, to avoid having to dremmel out the pickup slots in your guard :)

As mine was the bridge pick up I just dremelled the old cover, easier than cutting the body!

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, T-Bay said:

As mine was the bridge pick up I just dremelled the old cover, easier than cutting the body!

I didn't cut the body, or the scratchplate either T-Bay. The Entwistle pickup simply slotted into the existing pickup cover - so no modification or dremelling needed at all :)
Fitted like a glove

Edited by Marc S

Mine fitted apart from the wires, they wouldn’t fit past the plastic side..

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By fearthebassplayer
      I have a Tanglewoord 5 string Stingray copy that has 3 knobs and the input on a control plate:

The first knob does nothing, the second adjusts volume and the third adjusts tone. On opening the plate up I am presented with this:

The red and white wire on the left are soldered together, but not soldered to anything.
      I am guessing that this is why the knob doesn't function.
      Am I right in thinking that this is a connection from the pickup that controls volume for one of the coils?
      Where should I resolder this to on the pot? directly onto it or one of the 3 legs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

• By SubPlucker
      Hello everyone, i’m new here and looking for info about the wilkinson wjm pickup. It appears to be a combined jazz and musicman pickup - i.e. a single coil or humbucker in the same housing. JHS should fire their marketing department as there is scant information available about this pup. I was hoping for a wiring diagram or at least its dimensions so I can tell if it’s gonna fit in my bass. The best i found is a review of the Fret King Esprit here https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/fret-king-black-label-esprit-i-bass-573896 which praises the pickup and its vari-coil control which just looks like a blend control to dial out the j coil to leave just the mm coil.
      Anyone ever used one? Trevor Wilkinson talks about it @ 1:49 in this video after a quick demo @ 0:43.
      Thanks, Dean.
    • By Marc S
      David Gage docking station. Handy device which gives you a volume control within easy reach. Can be used with the Realist, or any other pickup.
      Brand new, unused + boxed, with instructions. £50

• By Handwired
      In my opinion Bare knuckle make the best Precision pickups. I use them in all my basses after trying Fender Custom Shop's, Seymour's, Lollar and Lindy Fralin.
      Great condition. Only selling as I'm thinning the heard.

P BASS - '65 SPLIT COIL P P-BASS
      FROM ITS INTRODUCTION IN 1951, THE PRECISION BASS TRANSFORMED THE WORLD OF BASS PLAYING WITH ITS UNIQUE LOOK, FEEL AND TONE. THE BARE KNUCKLE P BASS RANGE CAPTURES THAT GROUNDBREAKING TONE IN BOTH THE ORIGINAL 'TELE' BASS SINGLE COIL, AND LATER, HUMBUCKING SPLIT COIL DESIGNS.
      P'65 Split Coil P
      Grey fibreboard flat work, non bevelled Alnico V magnets and a lighter wind of 42AWG plain enamel wire characterise this mid '60s inspired split coil set. A brighter high-end, but equally solid bottom-end, make the '65 Split Coil P perfect for rosewood board P basses. Compared to the '58 Split Coil P, the mids are a little hollower with a woodier tone while the bottom-end remains full and warm. The two coils are wired in series for full hum-cancelling, and feature black and white cloth 'push back' hookup.

• By Handwired
      In my opinion Bare knuckle make the best Precision pickups. I use them in all my basses after trying Fender Custom Shop's, Seymour's, Lollar and Lindy Fralin.
      Great condition. Only selling as I'm thinning the heard.
      P BASS - '58 SPLIT COIL P P-BASS
      FROM ITS INTRODUCTION IN 1951, THE PRECISION BASS TRANSFORMED THE WORLD OF BASS PLAYING WITH ITS UNIQUE LOOK, FEEL AND TONE. THE BARE KNUCKLE P BASS RANGE CAPTURES THAT GROUND BREAKING TONE IN BOTH ORIGINAL 'TELE' BASS SINGLE COIL AND LATER HUMBUCKING SPLIT COIL DESIGNS.
      P'58 Split Coil
      As the Precision bass evolved, the early Tele bass single coil was replaced with a split-coil humbucking design in 1957. The '58 Split Coil P is based on the slightly later split coil design with flat profile, hand bevelled, Alnico V magnets arranged across two coils with opposing wind direction and magnetic polarity to cancel out hum. Scatter-wound by hand with 42AWG plain enamel wire, the tone is stronger in the bass with a more controlled high end and slightly scooped mid compared to the earlier single coil. Characteristic of the later '50s P basses, there's more output on tap for a muscular performance with exceptional punch.