Why become a member? ×

Squier Bronco bass

Daveox

I have owned many more expensive basses but keep coming back to my bronco bass, it puts the biggest smile on my face. I have several questions on these basses.

if looked after will they last? As it’s only a low cost bass

would you use it for performances? 

What modifications could I do to add to it to give improvement

i have always had the opinion you get what you pay for and as these basses are fairly inexpensive, can they really be this good? It seems an incredible instrument for very little money? Or am I missing something? 

What's to go wrong ? Accidents can happen to any instrument so basic keep it safe, ie don't prop it up against things, or lie it down where it could be stepped on, keep away from pets and children and out of the sun and away from heat sources

Periodic check that screws/fittings are tight on the bridge, neck joint and tuners and strap pins should be all that's needed

clean it and play it and enjoy, if you are getting the sound you like and it's a joy to play you will make music and be happy, plenty of cheap basses from the 70s and 80s still going strong

I will perform with literally any instrument regardless of the monetary value. If you like it, it plays well, looks and feels right why change any of it? 

I often choose so called lesser basses for gigs over big name ones simply because I enjoy using them. At the end of the day whether playing for fun or a living music should always be a joy. The bronco gives you joy. 

I'd say that's a win. 

• Like 4

What’s not to like about something that does the job and didn’t cost the earth?  Just enjoy your bass and don’t worry about it. I’ve played a couple of Broncos and they seem well made and solid. Short scale basses are also quite in vogue at the moment too, so cool points to be earned as well 😄

I've seen several pro musicians gig with Bronco's - some completely stock, so there is no worries there as its totally gig worthy as long as you don't abuse it. The stock pickup, despite being a single coil guitar pickup is clear sounding but not very full, which suits some musical styles. If you play with overdrive/fuzz/distortion than the stock pickup is ideal.

I had a Bronco where I replaced the stock tuners with a closed back set from an Affinity P bass (which was pretty much a direct replacement) they were more robust so I could put some high tension Fender flats on it. These strings (despite being full scale) brought the bass to life and sounded great, gave a more meaty and fuller sound.

The weakest point of Bronco's imho are the electrics. Replace them with some mini Alpha (linear) pots, and if you did want to upgrade the pickup, I would suggest a 50's style single coil like a SD SCPB-3, or if on a budget the Roswell VTN4 (those used on Harley Benton PB50s are really decent). Both of these would mean a little tweaking of the pickguard to fit, and it's not a difficult job, but the result will be massive over the stock pickup and electrics.

Many people have used Hotrail guitar pickups as a replacement, which are a direct replacement, which i found really filled out the sound (good), but lost all the clearity (bad).