Why become a member? ×

At what point do you politely decline?

Stylon Pilson

I don't know the kind of music you're playing, but if the nature of the gig is limiting you to bongos, and playing basslines on a guitar, it might be better off without you. I assume you'd be leaving them with a singer and guitarist, which, on an acoustic night, is enough to get by. I know if I saw a bass player playing the bottom two strings of an acoustic in lieu of a bass, I'd be wondering why they'd bothered coming. I wouldn't get pushed into it.

Having just re-read things above me, I've realised that it's now 1am, and the gig was tonight, so me posting any kind of advice is totally without relevance, even more so than usual!! Hope whichever way you decided, it worked out ok :) I'm after trading one of my excess of basses for a small combo as I'm finding myself in a lot of these 'quiet acoustic gig' kind of scenarios lately, and don't like to be left out!!

I would have said yes go, but quite frankly that's because I would probably have sod all else to do, but only playing bongos perhaps on a couple of tracks, not playing basslines on a guitar.
As if you only play for a couple of tracks with one instrument, makes it seem like you're a friend who's doing a favour rather than a band member who's lacking a job role.

But you've definitely got more important things to do, and they'll be better off as a two piece tonight anyway, yeah, you made the right decision to stay at home.

Edited by Buzz

In the light of all the details I would have to say no, but I don't think it's great form pulling out so late in the day.

Anyway, you could do your band more harm that good, it doesn't sound like it's going to be a fair representation of your sound but no-one is going to know that.

[quote name='Golchen' post='353357' date='Dec 13 2008, 09:01 AM']In the light of all the details I would have to say no, but I don't think it's great form pulling out so late in the day.

Anyway, you could do your band more harm that good, it doesn't sound like it's going to be a fair representation of your sound but no-one is going to know that.[/quote]

I agree, a part of me feels like scum for pulling out at the last minute. It's not something that I'd normally do at all. But I wouldn't change my decision if I had to make it again.

I've sent the band leader a text message asking him how it went last night, but I haven't had a reply yet.

S.P.

I've changed my mind. You're a back-stabbing treacherous slack-a$$ed malcontent with the integrity of Judas Iscariot, the credibility of Barney The Dinosaur and the personal hygiene of Albert Steptoe and there's no blazing pit of Hades deep or hot enough for you!

FFS, Stop beating yourself up. :)

1) It's only rock'n'roll
2) The others bailed before you did
3) The band leader called you at the last minute to tell you not only that the others had dropped out (days before in one case) but that you'd be dicking around on the bottom string of a Ukelele and banging on some bongos like a reefer-crazed Jazzbo. Obviously a ploy.
4) Your Missus was feeling crook.

Stack it up and it's a no-brainer. Sure, if it were a big showcase / well-paid gig and [i]you[/i] called [i]him[/i] and blew out on the afternoon with no excuse, then he'd have a case for giving you the swerve.

Get him to call me. I'll put him straight.

Edited by skankdelvar