Why become a member? ×

Cort GB75 OPN - thoughts?

lownote

I had one - fabulous build quality, lovely neck. The one thing I didn't get on with was the active circuit - which was designed very much with slap in mind. I'm much more a plug in a P bass and leave it type player, and the 75 just has soooo many permutations! So probably ideal.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

Cheers Myke.  Now bought. Any idea what the various knobs do?

Gulp, forgotten now. There's a mid boost switch, a coil tap push pull on one of the knobs. When the Cort website is up (can't get on at the moment) you should be able to get the full specs from there.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, lownote12 said:

Cheers Myke.  Now bought. Any idea what the various knobs do?

I had the 4 string version (GB74).

The two switches were one for various options on the bridge humbucker (single coil, series, parallel, or only series/parallel, I can't recall because I had a Lakland 5502 at the same time with a similar configuration)... and the other one was what some call a 'slap switch', which gives you a low end boost and treble boost too, while cutting mids a bit. I personally didn't like that:it sounds ok by yourself but mid-scooped sounds are not my thing, they bury the bass in the mix. 

The knobs were volume, pickup blend, and stacked active bass/treble EQ. The volume knob could be pulled, which bypasses the preamp (you lose the EQ, but it allows you to play if the battery dies).

Mine was very light and very comfortable although I found the pickups a bit polite, but it wasn't bad at all. Build quality was great. Gigged mine many times. Very versatile and did the job well. Only sold it because I do prefer chunkier necks and I was preferring other basses to it, so during my last cull it went... but it's one bass I wish I had kept.

• Like 1

I have a gb74  and love it great gigging bass, lightweight ,fast neck 

mine is possibly the model after mcnach's one ,and has slightly different controls

the knobs are.. volume ,pickup blend, bass and treble on stack ,mid boost cut ,and the only switch has 3 positions  

1. single coils front jazz position [ front of humbucker ]

2. jazz, and humbucker

3.single coils using back of humbucker

hope that makes sense 

Edited by timhiggins
  • Thanks 1