Why become a member? ×

Adding LEDs to switching pedal

Jakester

I use a Radial Bigshot I/O which, until recently, has done everything I needed - it allowed me to switch between basses, and mute when not needed. 

However, recently it's* proven lacking - it's one of the earlier ones, which is entirely passive and therefore doesn't have indicator LEDs to show which channel is active and when it's muted or not. In a couple of pieces I've been switching between electric bass and triggered orchestral percussion sounds, and in the heat of the moment (a timp roll right up to the end of the bar and bass in at the first beat of the next bar!) I've either fluffed the switchover or inadvertently pressed the mute by mistake. 

Since I can't see visually which it is, it causes a delay and can be very problematic whilst I'm supposed to be playing - especially if I carry over into the supposed quiet parts and suddenly 'klannggg' a string which I thought was muted/switched to the other channel. 

Anyway, that is a very long-winded way of setting the scene for my question, which is, is it possible to add LEDs to the pedal, and if so, can anyone recommend a 'modder' to do it for me (I am not going to pretend I have anywhere the aptitude to do it)?

I'm S/W based if that makes a difference. 

I could just buy a new version but that's £95+ - if modding is possible and cheaper it would make sense. Otherwise, can anyone recommend an alternative? Looked at the LS-2 but it doesn't seem quite right (needing a 'dummy jack' in the input to get it working as an A/B switcher. Don't want an ABY pedal, just a channel switcher with indicators!

*Or, rather, I have!

On 01/04/2019 at 18:05, Jakester said:

Looked at the LS-2 but it doesn't seem quite right (needing a 'dummy jack' in the input to get it working as an A/B switcher. Don't want an ABY pedal, just a channel switcher with indicators!

I use an LS-2 (in "A -> B -> Bypass" mode) to cycle between bass #1, bass #2, and mute. Each bass channel has an LED and a level control.  I'm not 100% sure you need the dummy jack... I don't have mine to hand to check right now, but could do at some point later in the week.

Update: yes, you need the dummy jack. I use a pancake jack plug (with no cable attached).

Edited by jrixn1

It's a relatively simple mod, but by the time you've paid for the bits and someone to do the work, you might as well sell the one you have and buy something that does what you want.

An LS-2 will do this, but needs a plug in the input to turn the pedal on. There are also cheaper A-B switches, but the Radial I/O seems to have other stuff going on (tuner output, mute, gain control).