Why become a member? ×

S.D. Curlee SOLD --SOLD-- SOLD

2x18

[attachment=16932:DSCF0875.JPG][attachment=16933:DSCF0876.JPG][attachment=16934:DSCF0877.JPG]Nice restored S.D. Curlee bass made in 1979 32" scale
All original apart from new Machine heads fitted and a switch that didnt do anything removed from controls and blank fitted, also an extra jack socket added ( both sockets work fine.)
Unusual neck thro design with brass backplate, The bird Motifs on the fingerboard are not inlays but stuck on and lacquered.
Plays well for an oldy ( wish I could say the same about me. )

I dont have a case for this so its collect only from Leeds

Will.

Edited by 2x18

Wish I had a spare £150 and lived in Leeds! :)

You really, really don't see many of these. Do you know if it's a US original or a licensed Hondo version?

I don't know if I remember ever seeing the bird position markers before - do you know if they are original?

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='347772' date='Dec 7 2008, 11:37 AM']Wish I had a spare £150 and lived in Leeds! :)

You really, really don't see many of these. Do you know if it's a US original or a licensed Hondo version?

I don't know if I remember ever seeing the bird position markers before - do you know if they are original?

Jon.[/quote]
Hi Jon
I think its probably a licenced version because the pots are Jap and the old Machine heads were also japanese. Its defo 1979 cos its marked on the neck and the body. The Birds are not original, but look very effective.

Very nice solid brass bridge and nut as well as the backplates.

Will.

[quote name='pushifier' post='349834' date='Dec 9 2008, 04:04 PM']Hello, did you also replace the trussrod? It's a common problem with these SD curlee's. I see a trussrodhole so I think its replaced?

(I think its under license: orginal SD Curlee (butchersblock) had badass bridge, dimartso pickups, schaller tuners)[/quote]

No its the original truss rod and it works fine. All the SD Curlee basses have this hole so you can get to the adjusting nut!

Will.

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='354562' date='Dec 14 2008, 08:37 PM']thats so cool in a sort of old, battered up chunk of wood sort of way, if you dont mind me saying so. if i had a spare £140 id definatly go for it![/quote]

Its actually in very good condition for its age, the photies dont do it justice! ( my crap camera work! )

Regards

Will.

[quote name='2x18' post='354611' date='Dec 14 2008, 09:57 PM']Its actually in very good condition for its age, the photies dont do it justice! ( my crap camera work! )

Regards

Will.[/quote]

im not saying its in bad condition! i just meant its a bass thhats cool cos you wouldnt mind getting it all bashed up and its not all posh and shiny like say a shuker or a sadowsky. its simple and plain, and old. i like it :)

i mean, you wouldntsee the one chrome knob or huge chunks of metal on the back of a £1000 bass. and thats what makes it cool.

Edited by LWTAIT