Why become a member? ×

Auditioning Drummers

Horizontalste

50 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Also tell everyone where you're based! Sounds like whichever decision you make there will be two good drummers still available and we all know that good drummers are like rocking horse poo!

Walsall/Wolverhampton West Midlands.

Hands off until we decide 🤣

A few thoughts from me (having only rarely had to look for drummers)

The  main one is who would you choose to hang out with as a mate? Pick them.  And if they aren't likely to become a close mate, at least choose someone who you think you can put up with in the long run.  Not that you can always tell, but #3 would worry me - if he's nervous at the audition playing in front of some strangers, how is he going to cope playing gigs?  Given the choice I wouldn't be taking the chance that he might have some issues.

But beyond that, do they bring anything extra to the band that you maybe weren't looking for originally but it works really well? And equally do they bring something that you really weren't looking for and don't like?  My example here is a drummer that a band of mine found who had a background playing jazz, which was not at all what the band was doing.  But rather than the meat and potatoes 4/4 we were expecting he came in and added a bit of swing and changed tempos where we weren't expecting it, and in a way that really added to the songs.  Made him stand out as being somebody who would bring far more to the band that we had been after.  However, if we'd have simply wanted the straight 4/4 then he'd have been completely wrong, even though he could play that quite easily (and he got bored and left when the band's founding attitude of "everybody brings their own ideas to the band" changed to "everybody brings their own ideas and then we do what the guitarist wants or else he'll throw his toys out of the pram")

• Like 1

On 27/01/2019 at 20:18, thepurpleblob said:

A decent person will put in the effort and learn as required. I've auditioned plenty of people who have been great players but, let's say, lack a certain humility...

This,

This is only for bands that cover songs as is and want it right.

Nothing worse than a drummer turning up and jamming all over your hard work,

If you make the point of telling them to learn the songs "as is" then there is no room for moaning when you kick their donkey out the door.

Bass lines on songs will have been thought about as also the drum parts, and the reason you are covering them is cus the lock in well, why change them,

Our drummer has the right attitude, he learns the songs perfectly, then if needed says " ok what about this idea in this part".... perfect

A drummer is not a good drummer if he chooses to be flash and jam over you hard work hes an arragont drummer, shape of things to come ! !

So for me i would pick the one who put in the most amount of effort and time to getting it right.

Edited by funkgod
  • Like 1