Why become a member? ×

New ebony fretless fingerboard conversion on a Fender P

Guest subaudio

Guest subaudio

Hi

I'm pondering various options to obtain a a Fender P with an ebony fretless neck.

Ultimately I'd love a Tony Franklin but they very rarely come up used.

So, does anyone have any experience of having a fretted rosewood fingerboard removed and having an ebony fretless one fitted to a standard US P bass?

I see one of the highly respected Luthiers offers this option but in the dim, vague, back of my mind somewhere I remember a story of such a conversion not working very well, no idea where, when or who the source or Luthier was so I wonder if anyone has any experience ?

it shouldn't be difficult especially on a bass with a flat neck where the radius is only on the fingerboard - judicious heat to soften the glue holding the old fingerboard on is usually required, plenty of vids on youtube showing it being done, but if it's a fender bolt on neck why not just buy a ebony fretless neck and swap it over surely that is easiest

Guest subaudio
2 hours ago, Aidan63 said:

it shouldn't be difficult especially on a bass with a flat neck where the radius is only on the fingerboard - judicious heat to soften the glue holding the old fingerboard on is usually required, plenty of vids on youtube showing it being done, but if it's a fender bolt on neck why not just buy a ebony fretless neck and swap it over surely that is easiest

Hiya mate.

Good point.

Basically I don't know which neck to buy, which ones would fit, which ones I'd get on with, I know I like the carbon rods in US Fenders, I like the feel and also, rather vainly, I like the logo.

So, ignorance is the main reason I suppose, and cost, I think it might be cheaper to mod a fretboard than buy a comparable quality replacement neck?

This is an intellectual project at the moment to figure out viability and budget, so I can't say which era P bass it's for, I haven't got one yet.

I'm thinking along the lines of buying a modern used P, with the mods & used bass coming in at around the same price as a new P all in....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Marcoelwray

Hello, I can offer my services, already replaced a fretboard, nothing major to me. If you want a conversion, it's about 40 euros for an ebony blank and 100 for my services, as long as it doesn't need fretlines or whatsoever... :) Radiused at the radius you need, if course.

Guest subaudio
15 hours ago, Marcoelwray said:

Hello, I can offer my services, already replaced a fretboard, nothing major to me. If you want a conversion, it's about 40 euros for an ebony blank and 100 for my services, as long as it doesn't need fretlines or whatsoever... :) Radiused at the radius you need, if course.

Thank you, I'll bear you in mind as and when.

What about this one, you can have it :

937620750_FenderPrecisionBassFretlessised1978(1).thumb.jpg.2f75149251017ee8b32183ad81d32ba2.jpg

434238770_FenderPrecisionBassFretlessised1978(9).thumb.jpg.c8f8ccd7285f23f3f91506f701ddff65.jpg

129310335_FenderPrecisionBassFretlessised1978(28).thumb.jpg.8c12c4f9fdaa7d1afc6981b4577f8f96.jpg

It's a full original 1978 Fender Precision Bass with a Brazilian rosewood (way far more singing than ebony) and a Seymour Duncan Jazz bass pickup. The fingerboard replacement was made by THE French luthier Christophe LEDUC. I bought it to the original owner years ago and don't play it at all, being a 6 strings fretless bass player.

Guest subaudio
3 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

What about this one, you can have it :

937620750_FenderPrecisionBassFretlessised1978(1).thumb.jpg.2f75149251017ee8b32183ad81d32ba2.jpg

434238770_FenderPrecisionBassFretlessised1978(9).thumb.jpg.c8f8ccd7285f23f3f91506f701ddff65.jpg

129310335_FenderPrecisionBassFretlessised1978(28).thumb.jpg.8c12c4f9fdaa7d1afc6981b4577f8f96.jpg

It's a full original 1978 Fender Precision Bass with a Brazilian rosewood (way far more singing than ebony) and a Seymour Duncan Jazz bass pickup. The fingerboard replacement was made by THE French luthier Christophe LEDUC. I bought it to the original owner years ago and don't play it at all, being a 6 strings fretless bass player.

If your giving it to me I'll take it :)

Very nice bass!

I want an Ebony fingerboard because I want to use roundwound strings.

Edited by subaudio

Guest subaudio
Just now, Hellzero said:

I forgot to mention "free ... shipping". 🤣

Free bass and free shipping.

What a day! :)

Seriously though, its a beautiful bass that deserves love and playing.

I see both sides of this, but come down firmly on the side of buying used necks until the right one comes along, as opposed to modifying a fretted neck that you're quite happy with. There are plenty of good quality and cheap fretless necks around the place from Mighty Mite at the lower end to Warmoth and AllParts higher up the quality scale. If you keep your eyes open you'll probably get one for not much more than it's going to cost to have your neck modified - I picked up my favourite fretless neck, a beautifully oiled wenge Warmoth Precision with unlined ebony board, for £120. Pretty easy to sell a neck you don't like on and look for one you do. Good luck either way.  

image.thumb.png.dcb794db4afa324882e5481c68a485e9.png

Edited by Beedster
  • Like 1