Why become a member? ×

Anyone thinking of a 6?

josie

Johnny Roadhouse in Mcr have a 2nd hand Ibby SR506 at £320. Mahogany body, bolt-on neck, Bartolini pups. Slightly worn finish but a very fine bass at a silly price. 

Not for me (love my BTB1406 🙂   ), but might be of interest to someone here. (Almost tempted to buy it just to sell on, but don't want to get into that game.) 

(ps no affiliation!) 

1 minute ago, grenadillabama said:

I wonder if it is better to go E-E like a gtr  OR B to B  OR B to C ? Does the little string have any bass content or is it to add a little chord like a gtr playing a choppy chord on the "off" beat ? It is something that bands might not dig, like my new Schecter 8 string. I am curious...

Two completely different instruments IMO. 

I use a Bass VI (tuned E-E) with one of my bands and the top two (and sometimes 3) strings definitely need treating like a guitar rather than a bass for the best effect. I've also experimented with E-C 5-sting on a standard 34" scale bass and I couldn't get on with the sound or feel of the C string. At best it sounded like crap jazz guitar when playing it.

4 minutes ago, grenadillabama said:

I wonder if it is better to go E-E like a gtr  OR B to B  OR B to C ? Does the little string have any bass content or is it to add a little chord like a gtr playing a choppy chord on the "off" beat ? It is something that bands might not dig, like my new Schecter 8 string. I am curious...

There is low end content, but obviously less the higher the note you are playing. How well it is received depends on the style of music you are playing and obviously what you play. I find 6s useful for sight reading as less shifting is required. 

I've got Ibby SR 506, 1206 and 1006 (though the 1006 is now sold awaiting collection). The 506 is good value, after a lifetime of Fenders, but the 1206 (current model is 1306) is definitely better, much punchier pick ups. This year the 1206 will be my main bass, with the 506 as back up.

I don't use the C string for chords, but to save dashing up the dusty end to reach high A, etc, which the C string brings down to the 'safe' area below the twelfth fret ;) I find I am playing across the board much more than I used to, and playing up and down it much less, which in my view helps with accuracy when playing on stage as everything you need is likely to fall under the fingers without having to move more than a fret or two up or down the neck. I'm just getting lazy!