Why become a member? ×

SR506 vs BTB676

lateralus462

Right - I'm in the market for my 1st 6 string - I've always wanted one and I figured I might as well get one now.

I'm pretty much sold on Ibanez BUT I can't make up my mind between the SR506 and BTB676 - The SR506 is slightly cheaper 34" scale bolt on and seems to get glowing reviews and the BTB676 is 35" Scale and neck through and seems to get equally good comments!! As far as I can tell they have the same pickups/electronics so there isn't much between them there.

tbh I think I'm more inclined towards the BTB mainly because of the looks and the slightly wider string spacing (17mm as opposed to the 16.5mm on the SR) but I'm not sure.

Please help me make my mind up!!!!!

Personally, I'd go for the 506, because I prefer the SR body shape and string spacing.

Obviously you should try them both out and go for whichever one feels better.

The BTB should have a tighter B string, due to the 35" scale, but will be more of a stretch (not a problem if you have big hands). That said, 17mm is still pretty tight for the spacing.

The pickups may be the same, but I thought they had different pre-amps - though that may be the prestige range that I'm getting confused with.

Either way, they're both quality instruments and great value for the money.

Edited by geilerbass

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='349605' date='Dec 9 2008, 12:22 PM']good call, the SR 500 range are superb basses for feel weight playability and sound choices.
the BTB have a different pickup and eq to the SR500's MK1 pickup and MK1-4 eq.[/quote]

I've been looking at pimping out a mid-priced Ibanez. I play with a pick a lot and im concerned about the narrow string spacing though :)

Aharon

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='368741' date='Jan 2 2009, 07:25 PM']I tried the SR505 out again today.. really nice bass. Very impressed with its playability.[/quote]
Ibanez always are good,solid instruments,they can be a little too middy in the thin stringer dept.....But you cant go far wrong for the money.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='benzies123' post='406230' date='Feb 11 2009, 02:20 PM']Anyone played the Ibanez 1006 EFM Prestige? I Played the 506 and loved it, and assumed that the 1006 would be similar but just more lovely. I'm gonna hopefully get one soon and get a college grant to pay half. Any advice ect?[/quote]

Hurry up if you really plan to buy one of those, they went out of production with 2009. A real shame, since the 5000 range (that replaces 1000 series) are not neck through body, and the differences between 5000 series and 500 are now hardly worth double price.

[quote name='Fraktal' post='406325' date='Feb 11 2009, 02:22 PM']Hurry up if you really plan to buy one of those, they went out of production with 2009. A real shame, since the 5000 range (that replaces 1000 series) are not neck through body, and the differences between 5000 series and 500 are now hardly worth double price.[/quote]
sh*t! Thanks for that, i better get my act together. Mighty shame as well though.

Benzies, I've got SR1005, if it does the trick...

B string is quite good sounding (erm, at least for my ear), neck feels like going-thru-butter, huge variety of tones (oh, just adjust the Mid Frequency knob a bit - plenty of different [i]basses[/i] you got there, mate.. ;) ).

I can't tell, if it sounds too middy (as people sometimes mention, they do), it just sounds punchy to my ear.

Neck thru, rosewood fingerboard, heavy strings (you add 'em yourself, of course..) - it all gives warmth, sustain, punch.

The only thing that dissappointed me was knobs - Treble/Bass knobs broke down after a few months (my Ibby was brand new then), and you can't properly adjust them without pre-amp turning on and off.. But it's not very bad at the end.

In my opinion, it's more like 'team-work' instrument, rather than 'solo, steping-out' thingy. You know, what I mean..

Hope this helps :P
cheers
Faith

Edited by Faithless

[quote name='Faithless' post='407087' date='Feb 11 2009, 10:46 PM']Benzies, I've got SR1005, if it does the trick...

B string is quite good sounding (erm, at least for my ear), neck feels like going-thru-butter, huge variety of tones (oh, just adjust the Mid Frequency knob a bit - plenty of different [i]basses[/i] you got there, mate.. ;) ).

I can't tell, if it sounds too middy (as people sometimes mention, they do), it just sounds punchy to my ear.

Neck thru, rosewood fingerboard, heavy strings (you add 'em yourself, of course..) - it all gives warmth, sustain, punch.

The only thing that dissappointed me was knobs - Treble/Bass knobs broke down after a few months (my Ibby was brand new then), and you can't properly adjust them without pre-amp turning on and off.. But it's not very bad at the end.

In my opinion, it's more like 'team-work' instrument, rather than 'solo, steping-out' thingy. You know, what I mean..

Hope this helps :P
cheers
Faith[/quote]

Cheers for the Info... I played the SR 506 (Is that what its called, the model below and i loved it, more than some £1500 basses in the same shop) so i assumed the Sr1006 would just be the perfected version of it.

Cheers again!

• 1 month later...

Sorry to drag up a slightly old topic, but it saves making a new topic. Can anyone with experience of either of these basses comment on the B string? As mentioned before the BTB has a 35" so maybe the B will be a little tighter (my Spector is 35" and the B is amazing), but I really love the look of the SR506 over the BTB and want to trade my Spector towards one!

The new SR506 with Bart mk II's is very nice - sound is much improved over the first incarnation. Too neck heavy when seated for me but light enough for it not to matter in the long run. I can't recommend the BTB676 - it sure looks nice with the thru neck but basic tone was very uninspiring.

Having played both, i would recommend you go for the SR506. i preferred the feel and sound of the bass, specially with its string spacing and the new model preamp. to my ears it has far more 'life' (maybe character would be a better word) than the mark 1 bart.

34 vs. 35 scale....i personally prefer 34. It doesnt make as much difference to the taughtness of the B string as the overall onstruction of the instrument (there are short scale basses around with fantastic B strings). If the instrument is sound, then the B will speak as well as the other strings. The 506's B had more than enough definition between the notes when i tried it. Also, with 35 scale the top C can sound strangled at times. i was lucky enough to demo both basses in band context (rock), and for the 506 won hands down.