Why become a member? ×

Drum machine to improv to

lowdowner

2 hours ago, lowdowner said:

I think you're right, but now I've done some research over what a 'drum machine' (more of a sampler and sequencer) can do, I'm really interested in exploring this a bit further.

Yeah, It's versatile machine and more than just a drum machine. It's more like an Akai MPC. I've had a quick go on the Digikat in a shop, the clacky keys began to annoy me after a few minutes. 

I also prefer hardware devices. Software instruments are ok for drawing up ideas and such, but I much prefer using actual drum machines, synths, samplers etc. In the same way that the even the best software based bass guitar isn't a replacement for playing a real bass.

Edited by bartelby

7 hours ago, ped said:

I’m thinking about a Teenage Engineering OP-Z

We thought about that for our keys player (and the name made it very tempting as a 60th birthday present) but decided the Korg Mini was better vfm. 

I completely agree about having a separate piece of hardware. I picked up an old Boss DR-3 cheaply on fleaBay, run it through a tiny guitar amp that my son was throwing away, and it sits in the middle of my little practice rig asking to be switched on. I use it much more than I would use an app or a program. 

As seen here (the Marshall is my practice bass amp, not the drum machine amp!) 

All_basses_2.thumb.jpg.6c7af1683f8a4986259e1da618ffcb55.jpg

3 hours ago, josie said:

We thought about that for our keys player (and the name made it very tempting as a 60th birthday present) but decided the Korg Mini was better vfm. 

I completely agree about having a separate piece of hardware. I picked up an old Boss DR-3 cheaply on fleaBay, run it through a tiny guitar amp that my son was throwing away, and it sits in the middle of my little practice rig asking to be switched on. I use it much more than I would use an app or a program. 

As seen here (the Marshall is my practice bass amp, not the drum machine amp!) 

All_basses_2.thumb.jpg.6c7af1683f8a4986259e1da618ffcb55.jpg

good setup - I can see how having the separate drum machine *visible* all the time would encourage you to use it more... 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, lowdowner said:

good setup - I can see how having the separate drum machine *visible* all the time would encourage you to use it more... 

It's the same principle as having the basses out on floor stands rather than in cases (as per another recent thread). I play all five at least once a week, because they're all in close reach and remind me to play them. I wouldn't if they weren't. 

On 31/12/2018 at 10:25, lowdowner said:

I've been googling overnight and think this may be the solution:

https://www.elektron.se/products/digitakt/

as I can play drums and keys anyway I can sample into this and make my own backing tracks. It may take me a month of study to work it out though :)

Btw - that does look very good! Thanks for bringing to our attention If you end up getting this, do let us know how you get on with it. It seems to me provide a similar step-up from a Zoom B3n --> Helix Stomp as this would be from a Alesis SR16/18 --> Digitakt.

I could, therefore, definitely see this being on a birthday wish list later in the year! :)

PS these are going for < £550 from some pretty popular online retailers

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

I must say that I'm a bit confused by the mix of 'digital' and 'analogue' in their 'blurb'. The samples are digital, that's certain; the analogue part is, I presume, the volume knob or audio filtering..? Dunno, really. I can't see what the 'hardware' aspect does, sonically, compared to a wholly software equivalent, such as a Vst drum plug-in. Am I missing something..? There must surely be something that justifies such a price for a metronome with buttons, but I can't see what. :/

2 hours ago, bartelby said:

I recommend getting it from Juno.

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/elektron-digitakt-drum-machine-sampler/638981-01/

I spent about £2K with them and never had a single issue. Free Parcel Force 24 shipping and the customer service is very very good.

That's really useful to know, thanks Bartelby. They did seem to have the best price I saw as well. I'd not used them before (unlike Bax whom I had) so wasn't able to recommend; but great they've got a good reputation with you - I'll therefore not hesitate to use them, myself, going forward.

Btw - what do other folk think about the Digitakt, is it the best piece of gear (hardware) on the market in the £500 price range? Clearly @Dad3353 has raised some questionmarks!

Edited by Al Krow

Here's a few to compare, maybe..?

Hardware Drum Machines ...

...but if it's simply for tapping in some beats to improvise over (as opposed to composing complete drums tracks for songs, for recording...), you'd have to be darned keen to need one of these monsters. I'd say you'll be spending more time fiddling around with 'em than on the bass impros, personally, but, if that's what you like doing, go for it... B|

Edited by Dad3353
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

I must say that I'm a bit confused by the mix of 'digital' and 'analogue' in their 'blurb'. The samples are digital, that's certain; the analogue part is, I presume, the volume knob or audio filtering..? Dunno, really. I can't see what the 'hardware' aspect does, sonically, compared to a wholly software equivalent, such as a Vst drum plug-in. Am I missing something..? There must surely be something that justifies such a price for a metronome with buttons, but I can't see what. :/

Maybe this answers why it’s not just a metronome with buttons. With onboard ADC so you can sample from analogue instruments into the device, full midi synchronisation, full sequencing and live sound editing, onboard LFO, and various filters, you can’t do this with a metronome with buttons

• Like 1

That settles it (for me...); I definitely don't want anything that makes noise of the sort..! :laugh1:

We have this in our 'park' of gear; no good either for messing about with samples..?

Roland SP-808 ...

Our Eldest's previous group (Kiemsa...) used it quite extensively; it does most of the things vaunted by this box. Are you sure you just want something to improvise over..? 9_9

Edited by Dad3353