Why become a member? ×

Ibanez BTB33 volo

2 hours ago, 4000 said:

Just been looking at some YouTube stuff of these. I know they’re discontinued, but anyone got/had one? Very interesting, although I’m not sure how I’d get on with that body carve.

Yes, I had one about a year ago. Nice, easy to play. I found the sound a bit generic and nothing special. I didn’t really find much use for the high C although I enjoyed the shorter scale. I also thought it a little on the small side (I’m 6’7). I loved the look and the through neck design and had no issues with the body carve. If I got another I’d consider changing the pickups and/or the preamp.

Yep, I had a Volo for a couple of years. Lovely thing, really easy to play. I had grand plans of becoming the next Janek Gwizdala and learning a load of chordal theory to put that high C string to good use...which obviously never happened.

I bought mine used and it came upgraded with an Aguilar OBP3 preamp installed so I have no idea what the original preamp was like. The build quality was great as seems to be the case with all Ibanez basses. Dual truss rods which I really liked too.

14 hours ago, Storky said:

Yes, I had one about a year ago. Nice, easy to play. I found the sound a bit generic and nothing special. I didn’t really find much use for the high C although I enjoyed the shorter scale. I also thought it a little on the small side (I’m 6’7). I loved the look and the through neck design and had no issues with the body carve. If I got another I’d consider changing the pickups and/or the preamp.

To be honest I find this is the problem with many actives on the market, that they tend to be a bit generic. There are ways round that though, as you say.

3 hours ago, CameronJ said:

Yep, I had a Volo for a couple of years. Lovely thing, really easy to play. I had grand plans of becoming the next Janek Gwizdala and learning a load of chordal theory to put that high C string to good use...which obviously never happened.

I bought mine used and it came upgraded with an Aguilar OBP3 preamp installed so I have no idea what the original preamp was like. The build quality was great as seems to be the case with all Ibanez basses. Dual truss rods which I really liked too.

Ha, went through a similar thing with my custom-built Sei 6.

I like the fact that it's 17mm spacing and 33" scale, I like the variable mid (I like the SRs with the same control) and maybe I'd get on with the BTB shape where I struggle a little with the SR (I suspect I'd have to try before I buy though). Not sure how much I'd use the C these days but, hey, it's there if you need it. In 2 minds about the Barts as I'm not generally a fan, but it's not as if they're not easy to replace and it's a lot of bass for the money.

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

Ha, went through a similar thing with my custom-built Sei 6.

I like the fact that it's 17mm spacing and 33" scale, I like the variable mid (I like the SRs with the same control) and maybe I'd get on with the BTB shape where I struggle a little with the SR (I suspect I'd have to try before I buy though). Not sure how much I'd use the C these days but, hey, it's there if you need it. In 2 minds about the Barts as I'm not generally a fan, but it's not as if they're not easy to replace and it's a lot of bass for the money.

True, the pickups on the Volo are a non-standard size so replacements aren’t easy to source. I much prefer the BTB shape to the SR shape though, sits so much better on the knee as it has a flat bottom edge cut rather than the super rounded edges on the SR series which are an absolute pain in the donkey to play with seated.

I actually did use the C a fair amount in riffs and in some looping stuff where I wanted to emulate guitar parts etc. It definitely had its uses. I had a Drop D tuner on my E string too which was cool though rarely used.

I tried an original Volo out in Andertons. The plain finish was pretty basic but the rest was nice. Especially the ramp for me. Lovely bass for the money although didn't give me much more that my normal Fiver TBH. I thought the shorter scale would give it less tension like the Alembic Stanley I tried in the Bass Gallery but the Volo's 33" on the high 'C' didn't feel much different to the 35" 'G' on my Spitfire fiver, other than being up a forth in pitch. 

I had a 33” scale 4 string Sei and that didn’t really feel much different than a 34” tension-wise, but the neck was ultra-slim so I’d expect that. 

With regards to pickups, I’m sure there are plenty of people who could do a custom wind in the same shell, assuming it was necessary. 

Yeah, the seated thing is a big issue as I play seated most of the time now. It’s amazing how many basses don’t sit well seated. My old Sei Flamboyant (not the 33” scale one, although that would have been the same) was always a struggle and just used to disappear off to the right all the time, which aggravated my shoulder problems. 

6 hours ago, visog said:

I tried an original Volo out in Andertons. The plain finish was pretty basic but the rest was nice. Especially the ramp for me. Lovely bass for the money although didn't give me much more that my normal Fiver TBH. I thought the shorter scale would give it less tension like the Alembic Stanley I tried in the Bass Gallery but the Volo's 33" on the high 'C' didn't feel much different to the 35" 'G' on my Spitfire fiver, other than being up a forth in pitch. 

Thing is, a Stanley is 30” scale. That’s considerably shorter. I had one once, tremendous bass but balanced like a bowl of soup going round a corner at high speed. 😂

What’s the weight like on the Volo?

18 minutes ago, 4000 said:

What’s the weight like on the Volo?

I don’t know if I ever weighed mine but I always thought of it as being “light enough to be comfortable but solid enough to eliminate any suspicion of frailty”

Make of that what you will...xD

• 1 month later...