Why become a member? ×

Vst amp sim free or cheap.

Jamie1981uk

I had some great advice about a short scale bass guitar and I thought I would ask one last question. What are people using to record bass direct? I'm currently using Windows os with Cubase 8.5 and for my main guitar I use Scuffham. Currently I have been using Guitar Rig 5 for the bass and whilst I do have Amplitude 4, I do not have any bass amps unlocked. What are you guys and gals using? Should I stick with what I have or should I be looking in a different direction? I should point out that I have used the bass amp sim in Cubase and it isn't a patch on the GR5 one. Once again thanks for any advice. 

Unless you are very keen on a particular bass amp sound, especially one that features a deal of valve-y distortion, I personally wouldn't bother with an amp sim for the bass.

Most bass amps are simply devices with a baked in EQ profile and a means of adjusting some frequencies within certain limits. The average channel strip in your DAW will be far more flexible than any amp sim. Start by cutting the extreme bass and treble and then use the remaining frequency bands to get the bass to sit where you want it in the mix. Add some compression and you are done.

If you are after some valve type distortion, there no reason not to use one of your guitar amp sims - after all until the late 70s there was virtually no difference between a guitar and a bass amp. The only reason you wouldn't put a bass through an actual guitar amp is that it wouldn't go loud enough and the frequencies are more likely to cause speaker over-excursion. Since your amp sims are just digital representations of the real thing, the worst that can happen is that you won't like the sound you get, in which case your can just try something else.

• Like 2

Depending on what i want to achieve i generally use an amp sim from Logic which are very good or occasionally from Guitar rig. Sometimes i use Klanghelm IVGI2 saturation [free plug in link below] or a bitcrusher distortion for some grit and a compressor to optimise...... Mostly i favour a clean, round bass sound and use a bit of drive to give some extra bite over GTR solo's etc.

https://klanghelm.com/contents/products/IVGI/IVGI.php

Edited by John T

14 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Unless you are very keen on a particular bass amp sound, especially one that features a deal of valve-y distortion, I personally wouldn't bother with an amp sim for the bass.

Most bass amps are simply devices with a baked in EQ profile and a means of adjusting some frequencies within certain limits. The average channel strip in your DAW will be far more flexible than any amp sim. Start by cutting the extreme bass and treble and then use the remaining frequency bands to get the bass to sit where you want it in the mix. Add some compression and you are done.

If you are after some valve type distortion, there no reason not to use one of your guitar amp sims - after all until the late 70s there was virtually no difference between a guitar and a bass amp. The only reason you wouldn't put a bass through an actual guitar amp is that it wouldn't go loud enough and the frequencies are more likely to cause speaker over-excursion. Since your amp sims are just digital representations of the real thing, the worst that can happen is that you won't like the sound you get, in which case your can just try something else.

I will have a look into using Scuffham. Since I'm able to re-amp I can see what the difference is between each one compared to the GR5 one I'm using (which is supposed to be based on a bass amp). For tweaking purposes would you put a EQ in the chain and would it be before or after the amp sim. And what do you prefer settings wise? I know its each to their own when it comes to sound but, I'm just looking at ideas atm.