Why become a member? ×

Guitar wah on bass?

Jakeyc

If it's easily modded then it should work alright - I could be mistaken, but I think the key thing with guitar vs bass wah pedals is just the frequency band they work across.

That said, you could always get a pedal that does both. I don't know how well it sits with your budget, but I'd recommend having a gander at the Ibanez Weeping Daemon - among other bells and whistles, it has a control which moves this frequency band so you make it more "guitar-friendly" or "bass-friendly" as you see fit.

• Like 2

I’ve used a modded crybaby (same model as yours) on bass before and it was pretty good. Make sure that you don’t just increase the input and output caps, but double the value of the capacitor that tunes the wah sweep to lower it by an octave as well. On the board it’s labelled as C2 and it’s a 0.01uf, change it to around 0.068uf and you’ll not go too far wrong.

Edited by paul_5
  • Thanks 1

You can pick up a used Weeping Demon or 105Q around the £50 mark. If you're up for modding though, pretty much any guitar wah could be modded for bass in theory. I would expect there to be some mod guides out there for more than that one particular model.

I saw you were looking at Multi FX units as well though, and plenty of them have wahs on board!

On 13/12/2018 at 23:32, Jakeyc said:

Sorry for all the questions. But is there a cheapish guitar wah that sounds ok on bass?

Ive been looking at the crybaby gcb95 as its got a simple mod to make it more bass friendly. 

any advice?

thanks you guys

Is there a reason you specifically want a guitar wah to mod? There's a few dedicated bass wahs (and some with dual modes) out here to choose from.

On 16/12/2018 at 12:07, mcnach said:

Is there a reason you specifically want a guitar wah to mod? There's a few dedicated bass wahs (and some with dual modes) out here to choose from.

Its just cause there was crybabies on ebay going for just over half what the bass version is

• Like 1