Why become a member? ×

NAD. Ashdown RM500 EVO ll

police squad

Finally I can announce the arrival of my new amp.

After a false start last week, (it had a fault) and unbelievable customer service from Ashdown themselves (the shop I bought it from didn't have any to exchange)

It turned up today. Ashdown actually sent me the replacement BEFORE they had received the faulty one back.

Anyway, what a great amp. I dialled in my sound in about 30 seconds. Bass up to 3 o'clock, mid to 9 o.clock and treble up to 2 o'clock.

The compressor is actually brilliant I think. It adds some thickness and evens out the slight string imbalance on my Fender Flea bass.

The drive circuit adds that little bit of fuzz to the sound. I'll probably use a little live.

It's not often I change bass amps but my last change was 6 1/2 years ago to ampeg and I loved it but I wanted to play British. (I know it's made in China but it's still an Ashdown)

First gigs are next week, one with my Police tribute and one with my pub rock band

• Like 5

3 hours ago, police squad said:

The compressor is actually brilliant I think. It adds some thickness and evens out the slight string imbalance on my Fender Flea bass.

Congratulations!

Do you find that there's a difference in the volume level with the compressor engaged and without it in use? I have the RM-800 EVO and there's a definite difference with my unit. Not a deal breaker but just one of the traits of the amp.

Edited by ebozzz

14 hours ago, ebozzz said:

Congratulations!

Do you find that there's a difference in the volume level with the compressor engaged and without it in use? I have the RM-800 EVO and there's a definite difference with my unit. Not a deal breaker but just one of the traits of the amp.

yes it does make it a bit louder but I've never had any success with compression so I don't know any difference

3 hours ago, police squad said:

yes it does make it a bit louder but I've never had any success with compression so I don't know any difference

I guess that I was attempting to find out if that was something that had changed with the EVO II line. It seems that it hasn't. As I mentioned, it's not a deal breaker for me and I love my amp....

• 2 weeks later...

They’re great aren’t they. Really love mine, it’s so easy to make it sound good.

edit - obviously the only way to make it sound good is make sure someone else is playing bass instead of me 😎

Edited by Merton
  • Haha 2