Why become a member? ×

quick question ;d;d;d;d

darbs

ok so when i gig i like to mix up my playin style goin from finger-picked-slap as i'm sure alot of you do the only problem is that when i change to slap i get hardly any volume and the mix goes dead.....is this somethin to do with compression as i have no experience (except i used a torque bass amp at college with built in compression once) hope you can help guys i'm using a warwick double buck with a markbass little mark F series and 2 ole 1x15 bass bin off my dads P.A that go up to about 4Khz :):D:D:D

You will naturally get a little less output with slap playing, but it shouldn't be that much. Try running the mids on the amp flat (centered) with lots of treble & bass. Also, make sure you have enough volume for the slap sound before you start. That way you can ease off on the strength you put into your fingerstyle playing. I notice also that you're playing a Warwick $$. Make sure that the strings are exactly centered over the pole pieces on the pickups or you lose a lot of volume on a $$. Had that experience myself.

Rich.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='343365' date='Dec 2 2008, 07:00 PM']You will naturally get a little less output with slap playing, but it shouldn't be that much. Try running the mids on the amp flat (centered) with lots of treble & bass. Also, make sure you have enough volume for the slap sound before you start. That way you can ease off on the strength you put into your fingerstyle playing. I notice also that you're playing a Warwick $$. Make sure that the strings are exactly centered over the pole pieces on the pickups or you lose a lot of volume on a $$. Had that experience myself.

Rich.[/quote]

cheers for the advice man will have a look at my pick ups problem is our guitards dad does the sound and pretty much hates having bass in the mix so i cant be too loud for when i am pickin should i just slap the sound man and tell him this is whats happenin :)?

I had the same problem with my Warwick Corvette. Not too bad for the odd little bit but for when we needed a slap line in a bass-dominated tune (can't stop by the chilis etc.) it was unworkable. I solved it easily by using the eq switch on my old Hartke VXL pedal which boosted the signal. Since selling that i've bought a clean boost (from this site) which is even better, plus i can use it for other stuff where the bass needs to be more prominent.

Your first port of call should be having quiet word with the sound guy, a bass light mix is just not on!

EDIT: Just a thought, i remember my corvette had a very low output for an active bass, was the standard 2 band MEC circuit. Didn't have the same problem with a MM SUB bass i used when my warwick was in the shop. Might be typical of the circuit?

Edited by lemmywinks

That is the one thing more than anything else in the world that makes me soooooooo angry! It's mainly old school pillocks who trot out that 'feel the bass' tat. I was recently mixed by someone who had once announced to me that the bass should be "below the drums right at the bottom of the track". It really bites my monkey.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='343407' date='Dec 2 2008, 07:43 PM']Ah, soundman eh?

So apart from any small gear/eq problems you may have, perhaps a short sharp talking to the pillock who's dicking around with your sound from the back of the room may be in order :)

Let me guess... Does he ever say something like, "You should feel bass, not hear it!" Bet he does, LOL![/quote]

oh no its worse he complained at one gig that it was rattlin his pants so turn down lol complete bell end. he's even took it as far as to go to pmt and ask about it he said " they told me to stack your cabs and jus plug the top one in so you can hear it and i will d.i you in the mix" but how would this work if i cant hear myself with two cabs plugged in. absolute retard lol

i have an old sh*t house distortion pedal i could use to boost my volume slightly problem is its a guitar distortion and it sounds copmpletely sh*t lol

[quote name='budget bassist' post='343396' date='Dec 2 2008, 07:31 PM']You're saying your bass is QUIETER when you slap?[/quote]

[quote name='BassManKev' post='343406' date='Dec 2 2008, 07:41 PM']my stingray when my limiter is off is distinctly LOUDER when slapping...[/quote]

im with these guys, even when i play my dads $$ (corvette - i cant remember if you said yours was a corvette or not) im a fair bit louder when slapping.

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='344662' date='Dec 3 2008, 07:59 PM']im with these guys, even when i play my dads $$ (corvette - i cant remember if you said yours was a corvette or not) im a fair bit louder when slapping.[/quote]

bad times (for me) maybe its my electronics i do seem to have one of my switches that jus makes my bass seriously loud :):D:D:D

I'm thinking that its the sound guy dicking about with the mix. When I play at practice, I go from fairly loud anyway with finger style or pick to earth shaking bang when I slap. Have a quiet word with him, down an alley, to make sure he fully understands that the bass is going to be heard, whether he likes it or not.
Zach

[quote name='5_string_death' post='345856' date='Dec 4 2008, 07:57 PM']Have a quiet word with him, down an alley, to make sure he fully understands that the bass is going to be heard, whether he likes it or not.
Zach[/quote]

lol well we'l see what happens next gig wich is tomoz at the colliers rest in leigh so come down if you live close by :):D:D:D

[quote name='darbs' post='346306' date='Dec 5 2008, 12:12 PM']lol well we'l see what happens next gig wich is tomoz at the colliers rest in leigh so come down if you live close by :):D:D:D[/quote]
I would if I could, but I don't even know where tyldesly is, so I doubt I could make it. Good look though.
Zach

I'm wondering if it's something to do with your technique?

I've never learned to slap, but on the occasion I've tried it, I've had the same results as you, on a variety of basses.

I have always presumed I'm not hitting with the correct part of my thumb or in the correct place.

I know this is probably obvious to most, but something I've never been that interested in for me, so I've never really looked into it or practiced.

Oh, and er BTW, I am an ex soundman and was often told by k*yboardists and g**tarists that my "bottom end" was too heavy! Rhythmn sections loved me!

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='346350' date='Dec 5 2008, 12:54 PM']I'm wondering if it's something to do with your technique?

I've never learned to slap, but on the occasion I've tried it, I've had the same results as you, on a variety of basses.

I have always presumed I'm not hitting with the correct part of my thumb or in the correct place.

I know this is probably obvious to most, but something I've never been that interested in for me, so I've never really looked into it or practiced.

Oh, and er BTW, I am an ex soundman and was often told by k*yboardists and g**tarists that my "bottom end" was too heavy! Rhythmn sections loved me![/quote]

possibly lol i hit it with the joint of my thumb where it bends......you want a job? ? ? ?