Why become a member? ×

ACS Pro 17

steantval

2 hours ago, steantval said:

Put them in a good thirty minutes before the sound check, same problem, could not hear my bass, cranked it up till I could and drummer complained it was mega loud.

The guitarist and vocals then had to turn up a bit to get the balance with my loud bass volume, too loud for the whole band, so we all turned down a touch, at which point I was struggling to hear my bass again, played the first three numbers and then resorted to taking one ear plug out for the rest of the gig.

Will be contacting ACS again tomorrow to arrange getting them changed to either a 15 or possibly a 10, as there is no way I’m going to get on with these 17’s as they are.

That's odd. 

Is it an EQ thing? Good healthy low mids in your sound or scooped? Jazz bass?

Whatever it is, I hope you find a way to make it work. Removing an earplug is not a good way to proceed.

On 21/11/2018 at 23:30, steantval said:

Anyone else had this problem with the Pro 17’s ?

No.

I'm not a fan of rehearsing at high volume. If you are rehearsing at gig volumes then you should be setting up as you would on a gig. So whether the problem is the way you place the back-line, or other players, or the room, or the volume you rehearse at I can't say, but my guess would be that the plugs are working as intended and they are high-lighting problems with your rehearsal process. My experience with band rehearsals is that the gear placed around the room in a circle and you all have each others amps pointing at you. I usually had the guitar amp pointing at me! Turning up the bass just makes the guy across the room turn up and you get nowhere.

Everyone playing in a loud band is going deaf. This is happening at different rates but the end will usually be the same result. I'd guess that if you thought it was worth paying this amount of money to protect your hearing you are already experiencing some "issues". You've got to give these plugs a chance. One rehearsal is too early to give up on them. You are putting a filter between you and the sound waves so everything you hear will sound different. The balance can change but you just need to acclimatise.

I'm not sure how you can have a sound that disappears when you put the plugs in. Maybe your sound is one that is filtered out, but I haven't had that. When I use the plugs the bass sounds bassier and louder to me. Raising the cab will change what you hear, but I think your rehearsal is the problem.

IMO taking the plugs out and carrying on without them is the last thing you should be doing.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, chris_b said:

No.

I'm not a fan of rehearsing at high volume. If you are rehearsing at gig volumes then you should be setting up as you would on a gig. So whether the problem is the way you place the back-line, or other players, or the room, or the volume you rehearse at I can't say, but my guess would be that the plugs are working as intended and they are high-lighting problems with your rehearsal process. My experience with band rehearsals is that the gear placed around the room in a circle and you all have each others amps pointing at you. I usually had the guitar amp pointing at me! Turning up the bass just makes the guy across the room turn up and you get nowhere.

Everyone playing in a loud band is going deaf. This is happening at different rates but the end will usually be the same result. I'd guess that if you thought it was worth paying this amount of money to protect your hearing you are already experiencing some "issues". You've got to give these plugs a chance. One rehearsal is too early to give up on them. You are putting a filter between you and the sound waves so everything you hear will sound different. The balance can change but you just need to acclimatise.

I'm not sure how you can have a sound that disappears when you put the plugs in. Maybe your sound is one that is filtered out, but I haven't had that. When I use the plugs the bass sounds bassier and louder to me. Raising the cab will change what you hear, but I think your rehearsal is the problem.

IMO taking the plugs out and carrying on without them is the last thing you should be doing.

See my latest post end of page one, still the same issue in a live gig situation.

Our vocalists studio is very large and at rehearsals, we set up exactly as we do on stage with the back line and full PA, we don’t usually rehearse at full gig volume, it was just at this specific rehearsal I needed to check how the earplugs performed at normal gigging volume.

5 minutes ago, steantval said:

See my latest post end of page one, still the same issue in a live gig situation.

OK. Seems like you've covered all my suggestions. I don't know what to suggest next.

For me the ER15's then the PRO17's filtered to the right level across all the bands I play in, from quieter to louder. Our sound must be very different. I have never "lost" the bass wearing my plugs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Can't remember if this was asked already but have you had your hearing tested.

Its possible the bass frequencies in your hearing are low ? Not sure how that all works but i was told that its usually the talking frequencies that are first to go. 

Dave

Yeh, had my hearing tested when I had the impressions done at Boots, surprisingly my hearing was OK, slight loss in left ear but nothing to worry about.

7 hours ago, steantval said:

Yeh, had my hearing tested when I had the impressions done at Boots, surprisingly my hearing was OK, slight loss in left ear but nothing to worry about.

I have a slight loss in my right ear but still above average for my age group including the dropped frequency.

With your hearing being ok and good its kind of left me a bit stumped why you can't hear your bass. I can only imagine that it must be down to the tone from your bass or amp but even that would surprise me.

Stumped !!! :dash1:

Dave