Why become a member? ×

EHX Micro POG

fretmeister

Tracking is fantastic - I've had one for about a year and find the octave up and down both track well and sound great. The upper octave can be a little tinny in isolation but mixed in with your straight tone it gives a superb 8 string sound :)

The octave down tracks low Es really well and may go lower but neither my ears or speakers go that low :huh:

Cheers
Alun

i've tried to make this pedal fail at tracking it even handles you pumping distortion into it so i don't think tracking is an issue! its more if you like the tone of it or not. It can do some great sub bass tones and some organ like sounds but the octave up on its own can sound a little tinyy as said

I'm on my second (my guitarist couldnt live without one, so i sold my first to him), is a different beast to a traditional octave pedal, the tones are quite thin as opposed to the Boss's fat sub, but if you ever had GAS for a 12-string bass, this will cure it.

It tracks perfectly to my ears, I play exclusively dropped D tuning with my band. Sometimes the sub-octave sounds a little indistinct, but it will track it, and being polyphonic, it'll take whatever chords you throw at it too. Add some modulation after it (eg: chorus, phaser) and you get incredible organ-like tones from it.

next practice im gonna plug my old MicroPOG into my new one and see what happens :)

a few notes tho (based on my experiences):
the pedal does sound very digital, especially the octave up, but used tastefully it sounds great,
the digitalness is less noticable on guitar.
If you want a PHAT sub octave - get a traditional octaver.
the MicroPOG isnt dynamic to your playing (although no octavers are) and often sounds highly compressed and digital - hence why it should be used tastefully
It will react to your tone control though.
I prefer running things AFTER it rather than into it.

i'll do some clips for you so you can see what i mean.

Heres the demo, its pretty long tho (over 5 minutes)
[url="http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7118473"]http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7118473[/url]

im trying to show the full capabilities of the MicroPOG, even if some of the sounds arent that useable/pleasant. I'm usually playing clean every time before i kick the micropog in.

chain goes Fender Jaguar Bass -> MicroPOG -> Line6 TonePort GX (no amp/cab sim although a chorus is used with chords later in the demo)

occationally im using a clean-blended Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Classic Fuzz.

I noticed while doing this demo that the microPOG seemed to sound much better (tighter, more natural) when i used a pick.
Most of the demo is played finger style, but i think i change to a pick about 3/4 way through

Yeah I’ve tried one and loved it; was so much fun. Not sure I’d pay £120 for it though – I can’t see that it has many practical applications for me. I’d definitely buy one if I had a lot of money burning a hole in my pocket though cos they’re great at what they do.

[quote name='Dosi Y'Anarchy' post='345508' date='Dec 4 2008, 02:55 PM']the MicroPOG isnt dynamic to your playing (although no octavers are)[/quote]

I can't remember what the MicroPOG behaves like, but certainly my OC-2 can and does track my dynamics well enough. I pump it into an envelope-following filter regularly and get very predictable performance from the filter.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='346050' date='Dec 5 2008, 02:26 AM']I can't remember what the MicroPOG behaves like, but certainly my OC-2 can and does track my dynamics well enough. I pump it into an envelope-following filter regularly and get very predictable performance from the filter.[/quote]

yeah but surely thats the nature of the envelop of the octave, do you run dry signal through your octave pedal or is it purely oct-1 or oct-2? I'd got as far as to say that running a octave pedal into a filter is a great way to ensure a predictable performance from a filter, as the output isnt as dynamically varied.

what i meant is that it doesnt seem to matter too much whether you play soft or hard with any octave pedal, in my experience (i've owned an OC-2, 2x Oc-3s, 2x Micro Pogs and a Harley benton Super octave, as well as a 2x Bass Micro synths which have a great analog octave circuit) especially something like an OC2/3, if you play harder on an OC2/3, your tone isnt really gonna change is it? playing gently just seems to bring up tracking/note stability issues (sometimes)

Having said that, i have noticed that the MicroPOG does respond a bit dynamically, but in my opinion its a case of the harder you play the worse it seems to sound, especially fingerstyle.

if anyone has any other opinions or experience on this, please feel free to chip in, I could well be talking out of my a*se, but this is just what ive noticed.

Edited by Dosi Y'Anarchy

[quote name='Dosi Y'Anarchy' post='347887' date='Dec 7 2008, 02:38 PM']yeah but surely thats the nature of the envelop of the octave, do you run dry signal through your octave pedal or is it purely oct-1 or oct-2?[/quote]

One tune I used to play in a former band the bass part was purely oct-1 on an OC-2, and I had to play a fade at the end, so playing softer definitely does work. I didn't have any tracking issues because I played the part up around the 12th fret (it was the tone rather than the low notes I was using the OC-2 for) but it definitely does get softer if you play softer.

I'm tempted to re-wire my board now to stick my OC-2 infront of a filter just to see how it behaves. It's in the loop of my Meatwad these days so I haven't done it for a while...

OK I stuck a BYOC 440 after it, and the envelope sounds the same through the OC-2 as it does bypassing the OC-2. You are right that the tone of the note doesn't change as you play softer or harder, but the dynamics seem to be preserved very well.