Why become a member? ×

Electro Acoustic Piezo - String volumes not even?

dodgnofski

I have a Tanglewood Shortscale (21") Electro Acoustic Bass which after shaving down the underside of the plastic bridge  to lower the action, it appears that the volume on the E & A strings is not as loud as the D & G strings. Can anyone offer any advice please? Thank you 👍👍

18 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

mine was like that out of the box. I would suggest that the saddle isnt sitting level on the piezo

Yes - usually it is that the bottom of the saddle isn't completely flat on the piezo, or that it is sticking slightly in the slot and therefore the full string pressure isn't being transfered to the piezo.  It is probable that you've sanded a slight curve in the bottom of the saddle and so now the two bass strings are not fully seating on the piezo.

Take the saddle out, sellotape a thin strip of fine sandpaper to a worktop and hold the saddle against something square like a matchbox or similar to sand along the sandpaper in a straight line parallel to the sanpaper, taking care not to sand a curve at either end.  It won't need much.  Check the flatness on the worktop and the squareness visually, looking end on down the length from either end.

Finally check that the saddle slides to the bottom of the slot and that the piezo extends for the whole length of the slot and that there is nothing in the slot stopping the saddle sitting flat.

Hope this helps :)

I've worked on a number of basses and other instruments with the same or similar setup. And they can be a right pain to get even volume. 

If the above advice doesn't work about making sure the bridge piece bottom is flat and the piezo slot is clean and flat. Then cut the bridge in half carefully! I use a Stanley knife heated. And cut NOT where a string lays but inbetween a and d obviously. This spreads the tension more evenly. Has worked every time on a difficult bass.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, dodgnofski said:

Managed to get the bottom of the bridge piece as flat as a Witches threepenny bit and despite a possible slight improvement, there is still a difference in volume - now, where's that Stanley Knife? 😃😃👍👍

Then when you’ve fvcked it completely take it to a luthier, as I have each time I’ve attempted any kind of bass diy... 😁 seriously though, good luck!

On 30/10/2018 at 17:04, dodgnofski said:

Managed to get the bottom of the bridge piece as flat as a Witches threepenny bit and despite a possible slight improvement, there is still a difference in volume - now, where's that Stanley Knife? 😃😃👍👍

How did it go?

What I do is heat the Stanley knife blade and slowly work through the bridge. And keep heating. Then I tidy it with sandpaper. Taking only a very tiny amount of material away from the bridge. Pop the two pieces back in and issue sorted.