Why become a member? ×

NBDs - Lost my head

anzoid

Succumbed to GAS, not once but twice in quick succession...

First up - Washburn Status S1000 secondhand from Rich Tone Music. 9.5/10 condition for a 30(?) year old bass - couple of dings on the body and that's about it. Washburn wood and real Status hardware.
Phenolic fingerboard and overall sounds really good. Electronics are slightly weird. Neck pot is balance, middle pot is (notched) volume and bridge pot is active tone that appears to affect bass and treble (not spent much time looking up the details, but like what it does) Not the lightest - weighs in at 4.25kg (more than my EBMM Sterling which is only 4kg).

Second, brand new Steinberger Spirit XT-2 in Hot Rod Yellow. Anyone who has seen certain other of my questions knows I like yellow basses - add that to my love of cricket bat basses and this was a no-brainer. Been through a few Hohner B2A, B2s and the like as well as a couple of 2015/16 (I think) Spirit XTs. The Hohners are always good, but the last XT-2 I bought was a complete dog that went back to the shop the same day - bad frets, poorly shaped body with with very square shoulders and bad radiusing of the edges, bad finish and... yeah, was really disappointed. This one is a 2018 re-release from Gibson and it's actually pretty good. Shape is correct, edges are nicely radiused and fit and finish is way beyond the last one. Only minus is a dodgy bit of finish on the heel, but nothing to cry about. Setup though... needs some work - action is very high, fingerboard is also very dry and could use some lemon oil. Pups are a bit weak but that could be somewhat down to the action. My intention is drop an EMG 2-band EQ into it at some point (and probably also replace the pups with real EMGs), but overall, very happy.

(And edit to add in the Sterling which is relatively new to me and makes me happy as a clam... born 20th September 2013 (according to EBMM) - Pacific Blue Burst with the Maple neck.)

P1000729.jpg

P1000730.jpg

P1000727.jpg

P1000728.jpg

P1000733.jpg

P1000734.jpg

Edited by anzoid
  • Like 3