Why become a member? ×

Prince's Back Catalogue Returns To Streaming

spongebob

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/23-prince-albums-new-anthology-come-to-streaming-services-712529/

Quite glad to see this. I stayed on board until about 2006, and even then missed out on loads of what he released. And there's more to come!

I wasn't a fan of giving records away with newspapers, always thought it devalued things a bit - but I guess it was an idea quite ahead of it's time, and how music has become to be consumed and distributed.

I know he fell out of favour for a while  - maybe he just released too much music with such variety. Triple albums....The Rainbow Children (which I loved)....it would be good if this can redress the balance, that he made numerous great records after he left Warners.Guess that's the downside of lengthy career - that you wind up competing with yourself.

• Like 1

On 21/08/2018 at 17:21, spongebob said:

I wasn't a fan of giving records away with newspapers, always thought it devalued things a bit - but I guess it was an idea quite ahead of it's time, and how music has become to be consumed and distributed.

The good thing about his freebies with newspapers was that he got paid exactly what he wanted by The Daily Mail for each copy. He would have made far more money from that than any streaming deal.

• Like 1