Why become a member? ×

Hello from Cali

JB3

Hello Basschat.  Just started to learn bass guitar two months ago.  I've got a Yamaha TBRX170EW, and a Fender Rumble 15.  Been checking out Scott Devine's - Scott's Bass Lessons, Mark Smith's - TalkingBass.net (that's why I joined this UK forum), and a US based guy - Andrew Pouska - StudyBass.com

I've been working through all their videos (plus Hal Leonard's - Bass Method).  It's been great fun, and my wife can almost recognize some of the riff's I've learned so far.  I decided to jump right in and learn basic music theory at the same time as learning to play, as I last looked at that kind of thing when learning piano (hated it) as a kid.  It's kind of fun to learn the basics and how they work.

I also just bought a Zoom B3n multi effects pedal just for fun - no idea how to use it really or what all the functions are, but it's fun trying to replicate EW&F's "Let's groove" synth bass sound.  I'm also thinking, if I keep this up, to eventually switch to a Fender Jazz Bass.

Anyway, I'm excited to start checking out all the advice on the forum...
JB

Welcome! 

I know not everyone agrees, but I found a bit of theory makes it a lot easier to understand and learn what I'm trying to play. A Real Live Teacher can make a big difference too - although it sounds as if you're off to a very good start as it is 🙂 

Hope it continues to go well for you, let us know!