Why become a member? ×

NBD!

ern500evo

Well, made a trip to Bass Direct this morning and came home with a Dingwall NG2 four string in Laguna Seca Blue! Been looking at these for a while, and after watching @dood review the combustion and NG, the GAS got even worse! Was a bit unsure about fanned frets but after getting some feedback from BC’ers and a couple of friends who have played them, decided to go and try one out. I’d narrowed it down to two finishes, the white swirl and LS blue. The white swirl was sold by decided to take a trip and have a look at the blue one in the flesh. Glad I did, the pics don’t really do this colour justice, it’s fabulous, a lovely deep matte finish that looks really good against the carbon fibre look scratchplate and maple neck. Plugged it into a Genzler Magellan and Genzler cab in the shop. Played in passive mode first off, just to get a feel for its natural tone. Flicking through the pickup selector positions delivers some lovely results, it’s got a natural zingyness and brightness to it which I really like. Flick the switch to engage the 18v Darkglass preamp and there’s some immense power on tap, with cut and boost controls for bass, low mid and hi mid. I found it’s got almost a Stingray sort of rasp and bite to it, and having the eq and pickup selector options means there’s a lot of tones to be explored. I was always impressed by the workmanship and build quality of my Bongo and Stingray basses, and this is the same. The fit and finish are excellent, and considering that this is he ‘cheaper’ range of Dingwall, then it’s a testament to the outstanding standards they have! Anyway, I’m off to give it a test through my GK MB fusion and BF Big Twin 2, so here’s a couple of pics! Oh and just as a side note, the 2 young guys at BD this morning, Ash(?) and the young guy who actually served me, were polite, friendly and professional! 

731E32C9-FBB0-4157-B8B5-608FF7A3F148.jpeg

7A17EA18-3EB4-4949-9903-8A87628E6CFD.jpeg

E03E7137-A709-446F-BDA6-084A75CB19CE.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, really.  It means a lot to me to know that my reviews have been helpful. I always hope to do the instrument justice rather than impress any sort of ego. My mantra has always been "No Ego, No Shred, Just Bass!"

Anyway, whilst we are here, I actually went back and watched the Combustion 4 video again a little while back and have ended up giving myself GAS too! I really want one ha ha!!!

Great basses, so well made and the support from Sheldon Dingwall and his team is just brilliant. 👍

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dood said:

Thank you, really.  It means a lot to me to know that my reviews have been helpful. I always hope to do the instrument justice rather than impress any sort of ego. My mantra has always been "No Ego, No Shred, Just Bass!"

Anyway, whilst we are here, I actually went back and watched the Combustion 4 video again a little while back and have ended up giving myself GAS too! I really want one ha ha!!!

Great basses, so well made and the support from Sheldon Dingwall and his team is just brilliant. 👍

You’re welcome Dan, although I am starting to think my bank balance would be happier if I didn’t watch any of your reviews, my EBS Sheehan pedal was a result of being convinced by your review! I’m really impressed with the NG2, even after just the couple of hours I’ve had it home. Bang for buck it is exceptional, don’t get me wrong it’s by no means a ‘cheap’ bass, but the hardware, electronics and build quality wouldn’t be out of place on a bass in the £2k plus bracket 

Edited by ern500evo
  • Thanks 1