Why become a member? ×

New Schaller strap locks!

EBS_freak

3 minutes ago, ped said:

It appears that many of you have ‘hacks’ that make them secure - now Schiller have released their own hack. IMO if they were designed well in the first place they wouldn’t need loctite, special straps, washers, etc. I remember nearly every bass having them when I started playing but I think better alternatives exist now. 

Its like having a slow puncture. Yeah you can pump it up once a week and it’s ok, or get it fixed. One could suddenly fail and leave you in a mess, the other doesn’t. 

I never got what the problem was with the old design, and I've never needed any of the "hacks" described above. 

As soon as you see the strap locks it is obvious that they are not going to fit through the standard strap button hole. However once the hole in the strap has been suitably enlarged and the the nut has been done up tightly with tools that are able to properly grip both the nut and the strap lock body, I've never needed to touch them again, and some of mine have been in use for over 30 years!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

I never got what the problem was with the old design, and I've never needed any of the "hacks" described above. 

As soon as you see the strap locks it is obvious that they are not going to fit through the standard strap button hole. However once the hole in the strap has been suitably enlarged and the the nut has been done up tightly with tools that are able to properly grip both the nut and the strap lock body, I've never needed to touch them again, and some of mine have been in use for over 30 years!

Aye but loads of people seem to have the problem - Schaller themselves too, apparently. FWIW I always cut away the strap hole area to fit but they still worked loose. I specifically remember tightening it so much that I asked my housemates at the time to see if they could tighten it any more. It came loose within a month. 

7 minutes ago, ped said:

Aye but loads of people seem to have the problem - Schaller themselves too, apparently. FWIW I always cut away the strap hole area to fit but they still worked loose. I specifically remember tightening it so much that I asked my housemates at the time to see if they could tighten it any more. It came loose within a month. 

Weird that. The only time I can ever remember a Straplock coming undone was when I could find a second adjustable spanner to hold the lock part in place while I tightened the nut the first time I fitted it.

1 minute ago, BigRedX said:

Weird that. The only time I can ever remember a Straplock coming undone was when I could find a second adjustable spanner to hold the lock part in place while I tightened the nut the first time I fitted it.

Yeah. I did try using two nuts for a while which helped IIRC 

I have just fitted a set of the new S-Locks to my Dingwall and I'm really impressed!

The old design did suffer from loosening and rattling, and these do solve both the issues.  I quite like the one piece button/screw, but surely imagine they won't just slot into every bass.  I 100% have had to use different sized screws to fit Schaller locks to some basses in the past.  But, fitted the Dingwall like a glove.  Hex key rather than Philips head much better for me, like the Schaller of old.

Lock wheel is bulky compared to the nut of the previous design, but its much more secure without any 'hacks', and the longer thread makes it so much easier to get anything but a rag strap on.

The rattle is gone! The only concern (so far unfounded) I have with the design is that, because it is somewhat snugger to the button when fitted and because the button and screw are one piece, whether it is possible the strap button will loosen over time.  We'll see.

Overall, big improvement to what was already the best locking system available, but we'll see how tight everything is after a gig ;)