Why become a member? ×

Router Table

Andyjr1515

Hi

Those of you who follow my threads will know two things:

1. My workshop is TINY
  2. I absolutely HATE routers

Well, based on MrsAndyjr1515's assertion that I fill every room in our house with my c**p already, the first item is unlikely to change

But I ought to do something about the second one - if only because there still are certain things I have to use a router for and, hand routed, they remain the messiest and most risky operations pretty much of any of my builds.

So, with a short break between actual builds, I decided to rethink my cellar / workbench arrangement and ask the question of whether there was any chance of all of getting a small router table in there.

And I've just done it and I am so, so pleased with how it's turned out.

The research and thinking process was long and painful (especially the thinking bit ;) )

This is what I ended up with:

mcMaYI5l.jpg

Anyone who has also looked at tables will know that it is a complete minefield of partial and/or ambiguous information of what each option will do or not do, how portable, how big, what routers they are compatible with, what guide rings they are compatible with, what comes in the box and what is extra, how heavy, how easy to disassemble, how stable, etc, etc..

I also had a requirement to be able to easily store it in a very small space when not in use and small enough to be able to use it in the narrow standing space in front of the workbench 

And this latter requirement knocked 90% of the options out.

So a bit of lateral thinking.  Was it madness to consider using the folding stand from my £12.00 (yes £12 !!!! from Maplin, god bless em and RIP) lightweight workmate and do a 'bitsa' job on the table itself?

Could I use my Draper router fixed base (on the right in this pic) that - against all odds - actually does fit into a so-called universal sub-base:

sKzFc1Vl.jpg

...and therefore be able to still use it as a hand router with the plunge base and remove it easily for storing the table and changing the router bits.

And the answer was yes.

Not cheap, but I think meets all my requirements.  And - if early trials are anything to go by - SO, SO, SO much safer, more accurate, easier to set up and cleaner than hand routing.

This photo was taken immediately after rounding all eight sides of a test piece.  The sawdust in the tracks were from an earlier tryout without the vac attached.  The rest of the chips - ie none - were what were left after the cuts:

7qoCcwql.jpg

Can't tell you how chuffed I am :D

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Nice but of kit...unlikely that the majority of your clients will notice an improvement in the already incredibly high standard in build quality though...😉😉

As long as it makes your life easier....

You're most kind, Mick :)

It's more about reducing the risk of an unplanned router gouge somewhere important late in the build - and also reducing the shower of chippings I usually end up being covered in every time I get the router out...

21 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

I know what you mean. I just bought a Kreg router table and fence for the same reasons. On my build thread for the short scale things there is one of the necks that had a small chunk out of it due to the router. 

I've taken a chip out on pretty much every build.  Luckily always rectifiable so far but I think I was pushing my luck

Edited by Andyjr1515

2 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Hi

Those of you who follow my threads will know two things:

1. My workshop is TINY
  2. I absolutely HATE routers

Well, based on MrsAndyjr1515's assertion that I fill every room in our house with my c**p already, the first item is unlikely to change

But I ought to do something about the second one - if only because there still are certain things I have to use a router for and, hand routed, they remain the messiest and most risky operations pretty much of any of my builds.

So, with a short break between actual builds, I decided to rethink my cellar / workbench arrangement and ask the question of whether there was any chance of all of getting a small router table in there.

And I've just done it and I am so, so pleased with how it's turned out.

The research and thinking process was long and painful (especially the thinking bit ;) )

This is what I ended up with:

mcMaYI5l.jpg

Anyone who has also looked at tables will know that it is a complete minefield of partial and/or ambiguous information of what each option will do or not do, how portable, how big, what routers they are compatible with, what guide rings they are compatible with, what comes in the box and what is extra, how heavy, how easy to disassemble, how stable, etc, etc..

I also had a requirement to be able to easily store it in a very small space when not in use and small enough to be able to use it in the narrow standing space in front of the workbench 

And this latter requirement knocked 90% of the options out.

So a bit of lateral thinking.  Was it madness to consider using the folding stand from my £12.00 (yes £12 !!!! from Maplin, god bless em and RIP) lightweight workmate and do a 'bitsa' job on the table itself?

Could I use my Draper router fixed base (on the right in this pic) that - against all odds - actually does fit into a so-called universal sub-base:

sKzFc1Vl.jpg

...and therefore be able to still use it as a hand router with the plunge base and remove it easily for storing the table and changing the router bits.

And the answer was yes.

Not cheap, but I think meets all my requirements.  And - if early trials are anything to go by - SO, SO, SO much safer, more accurate, easier to set up and cleaner than hand routing.

This photo was taken immediately after rounding all eight sides of a test piece.  The sawdust in the tracks were from an earlier tryout without the vac attached.  The rest of the chips - ie none - were what were left after the cuts:

7qoCcwql.jpg

Can't tell you how chuffed I am :D

Congratulations!

I'm happy for you.  There are people with double garages that don't get anything like the value you get out of your workspace.  They think that merely having the space and the tools is enough!

(Any chance you could whip me up a five string fretless when you get a minute?)

30 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I've taken a chip out on pretty much every build.  Luckily always rectifiable so far but I think I was pushing my luck

I have a home made router table but the router that went in it terminally failed and it flexed slightly so I wanted something more solid and to suit my other router. As you say, not cheap but should be worth it (I haven’t assembled mine yet as I’m on holiday!!). And should reduce the mess...

• Like 1

I've never had a router table before this one and I have to say I really like having one, they make life a lot easier. That one looks like the business for sure, I bought some of their tracks for mine and they are the business, the whole top must be an impressive bit of kit

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

(Any chance you could whip me up a five string fretless when you get a minute?)

Assuming the Andyjr1515 conversion of 3 Andyjr1515 months to the minute, then - for a mere king's ransom - of course...

:)

1 hour ago, Christine said:

I've never had a router table before this one and I have to say I really like having one, they make life a lot easier. That one looks like the business for sure, I bought some of their tracks for mine and they are the business, the whole top must be an impressive bit of kit

I used to make anodised aluminium extrusion and know how much it costs per metre, so biting  my lip at the huge profit margins clearly involved by someone along the way (and I suspect that's not the Taiwanese), it does seem to be very well made... 

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Assuming the Andyjr1515 conversion of 3 Andyjr1515 months to the minute, then - for a mere king's ransom - of course...

:)

So I'd get change from a queen's ransom?  Excellent value for money.  Three months is better than some folks have to wait for too.

• Haha 1