Sunburst body with a few scars

Refinished maple neck

Tort Pickguard

Serial Number 392***

8.2lbs

'B' neck with 40mm nut

Strung with new set of Labella 1954 Flats

Bridge cover.

Schaller Strap Locks but can fit original buttons if required.

Period but not original case

£2500

Consider trade plus cash for Sadowsky UV70 

P3922223_00.jpg

P3922223_01.jpg

P3922223_02.jpg

P3922223_03.jpg

P3922223_04.jpg

P3922223_05.jpg

P3922223_06.jpg

P3922223_07.jpgP3922223_08.jpg

Edited by obbm
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this bass from Bass Gear in January 2013.  At the time I commented on how clean the neck was and I was told that it had been refinished. 

Since then it's resided in its case apart from one band rehearsal.  That's all I can tell you.

29 minutes ago, obbm said:

I bought this bass from Bass Gear in January 2013.  At the time I commented on how clean the neck was and I was told that it had been refinished. 

Since then it's resided in its case apart from one band rehearsal.  That's all I can tell you.

I actually owned this very bass, but it was a very long time ago, early 00’s. When I owned it, it had the original case and case candy, and it passed the black light test (edit, ignore that, my mistake) with no indications of a respray. But time has passed since then, so it may of been done since, or they innocently got it wrong? Or I got it wrong ;)

Either way, it’s a lovely bass that I fondly remember. GLWTS :) 

Edited by Chiliwailer

Thanks for the info.  Seeing as the body has very few dings apart from the two scratches on the front it might well be the original finish.  I'm just passing on what I was told.  It certainly plays well.   Tell me about the black light test.

15 minutes ago, obbm said:

Thanks for the info.  Seeing as the body has very few dings apart from the two scratches on the front it might well be the original finish.  I'm just passing on what I was told.  It certainly plays well.   Tell me about the black light test.

Yeah, everything led me to believe it was original. The body was in great condition apart from the obvious ding and the case and case candy were in excellent condition. It appeared mostly unused so I always thought it’d just had an accident in the store or in a players bedroom. It stayed under my bed as I was using an old battered 60’s P Bass live, but I loved getting it out now and again. 

A black light test shows up any old remaining lacquer (edit - nitro lacquer, so ignore this post!)  that may be still present following a respray. It’s an easy test, widely used in the vintage industry. Simple get an ultra violet light and take the bass into a pitch black room, run the light over the neck and look out for dark/black patches, that’ll be the old lacquer. 

Edited by Chiliwailer
Mistaken info

4 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

A black light test shows up any old remaining lacquer that may be still present following a respray. It’s an easy test, widely used in the vintage industry. Simple get an ultra violet light and take the bass into a pitch black room, run the light over the neck and look out for dark/black patches, that’ll be the old lacquer. 

Thanks.  I've got a battery operated UV lamp.  I'll give it a go.

2 minutes ago, obbm said:

Thanks.  I've got a battery operated UV lamp.  I'll give it a go.

Oops, my bad. Sorry pal, I’m getting older and more confused. Black lights are for nitro finishes, I’ve used it loads over the years on my 50’s and 60’s Fenders. Thought I’d done it on the 73 as I was doing everything in reach back then as had a large collection. 

Silly mistake :o

Here's a photo of the headstock that I took in 2015.  As far as I can tell nothing has changed since your original photos so one must assume that this is original and not refinished.  I'll have a look later and see if I have the original case among my collection.  It might have got swapped over at some point.

P3922223_11.jpg

13 minutes ago, obbm said:

I’m not sure I want to sell it now. 🤔

I hear that, I genuinely have fond memeories of owning it. Glad you found the case and bits. 

No disrespect meant to the guys at Bass Gear, but a second opinion would be a good option, industry folk have been known to get it wrong. I had shown it to vintage dealers and no one picked up on it back then. Of course I could well be mistaken too.