Why become a member? ×

Wireless - Shure vs Line 6...

knicknack

Afternoon all... I've been using my trusty G30 for around 9 years with no issues whatsoever. I've been looking at some of the new generation Shure and Line 6 units, and there's plenty of conflicting reports on all. I was wondering what experience anyone here has with the Line 6 G70, Shure GLX D (pedal version). I don't really have any problems with my current system, and may well just get a 2nd transmitter, but I love the tuner/output capabilities of some of the new units. Open to others but must be board friendly. Went down the Smooth Hound route and it wasn't for me! Don't ever need to wander very far, but do like the freedom and gigs range from tiny pubs to festivals of 10,000 or so. Any help much appreciated! 

I bought a Shure GLX system s/h a few weeks back. Very impressed so far. Kit is well made, no difference that I can hear compared to a cable connection. Tuner works well. Not sure I could have justified the price of a new one but like you, even on a modest stage I like the freedom it brings. 

Given where the 2.4Ghz frequency is going, I would now be looking at the 5Ghz alternatives... which doesn't leave you with many options. The Stageclix is about all that is servicing that part of the spectrum at the moment.

In reality, if 2.4Ghz is currently working for you, then moving to any of the newer systems on 2.4Ghz shouldn't leave with you with any less performance RF wise. The main updates since the G30 is that the more modern systems have less latency (not that the G30 is bad by any meands) and a change in form factor. Line 6 are pretty much still leading the way in terms of minimal latency and the same is probably true for performance/cost ratio.

Other things that you may want to consider is the ease of changing batteries. If you are caught short and forgot to charge the sealed unit systems, your game is over... but for example the AA system, you'll always be able to find a petrol station or something similar to get some precharged AAs to save the day.

What were your issues with the Smooth hound?

me and our guitarist use Line 6 G10's very affordable well thought out, we've had no issues, the only downside is it uses a USB lead and plug (supplied) for the charger/ receiver unit

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/guitar-wireless-systems/line-6-relay-g10-digital-wireless-guitar-system

Edited by PaulWarning

Been using my G30 for several years and haven;t encountered any issues that would want me to change to something else.

I change batteries before every gig so that I'm not caught short during the night. I use Duracell Industrials which work out at around 26p a gig

47 minutes ago, Delberthot said:

Been using my G30 for several years and haven;t encountered any issues that would want me to change to something else.

I change batteries before every gig so that I'm not caught short during the night. I use Duracell Industrials which work out at around 26p a gig

Change to Eneloops and recharge between gigs. Save the planet and all that. I use them in 13 channels of wireless every gig - and there is absolutely no issues. Similarly, they hold their charge (once charged) for over a year - so they aren’t going to run down between gigs!

@EBS_freak fair point about 2.4... there's no shortage of reviews of the two I'm looking at that report dropouts, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's just a sign of the times rather than issues with the units! Never had an issue with my G30, I wonder if it's because it runs on rf1 instead of rf2 as the modern ones do? 

I guess my temptation to change is partly due to the idea of having something a little more professional especially now my gear is handled by others some of the time, and the idea that, with something like the G70 I can have 2 wireless electric channels plus a wired upright going straight to the built in DI, all through the tuner etc.... Whether it's worth just holding off and seeing which way things develop I don't know! The stageclix doesn't really look up to the job if I'm honest! Smooth hound seemed like a nice piece of kit but I never found the form of either part to be as functional as my G30, and a friend has had real dropout issues with his.

Especially interested to know if anyone has tested the quality of the G70s DI output...

12 hours ago, knicknack said:

@EBS_freak fair point about 2.4... there's no shortage of reviews of the two I'm looking at that report dropouts, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's just a sign of the times rather than issues with the units! Never had an issue with my G30, I wonder if it's because it runs on rf1 instead of rf2 as the modern ones do? 

I guess my temptation to change is partly due to the idea of having something a little more professional especially now my gear is handled by others some of the time, and the idea that, with something like the G70 I can have 2 wireless electric channels plus a wired upright going straight to the built in DI, all through the tuner etc.... Whether it's worth just holding off and seeing which way things develop I don't know! The stageclix doesn't really look up to the job if I'm honest! Smooth hound seemed like a nice piece of kit but I never found the form of either part to be as functional as my G30, and a friend has had real dropout issues with his.

Especially interested to know if anyone has tested the quality of the G70s DI output...

OK - it sounds like you are wanting to step up to outside of the consumer market. I’ll give you a clue - what you are really looking for is the qlxd or ulxd units from Shure. These are channel 38 units (assuming you want to run them on a shared license channel) - that use the same ad/da conversion methods as the other units mentioned, but on the 606+ MHz range instead of the WiFi 2.4Ghz range. Of course, there is a price to pay - you are looking circa 1000 quid a channel for qlxd. ulxd will do the same job but also boast encryption and on the larger units, do high density mode (more channels in a slither of the radio spectrum) and also boast Dante connectivity.

With regard to drop out issues, that’s mostly going to be down to congestion in 2.4Ghz - but other factors that differ between units is the transmission power and antenna setups they have. For example, you’d expect a system with a quarter wave or half wave external antenna setup (especially if dual diversity also) to outperform a system that has no external antenna (all other factor such as transmission power - typically 10mW for consumer wireless - being equal).

The Stageclix is actually quite a decent unit but the casing can appear to be a bit “home electronics project” compared to the competition - so I can understand why you are a little apprehensive on that front. I would have no problem using one.

I would never consider the Smooth Hound stuff personally - as an IEM user, the latency of that system is far too high. (10ms absolute top end figure for acceptable latency in your ears - some people can't even tolerate that). The SH 8ms latency is just not good enough, especially if you have any other digital elements in the chain that can be introducing latency.

What do I use personally? ULX-D. Absolutely amazing - probably overkill for the majority of the gigs... but never had one drop out ever. 

Edited by EBS_freak