Why become a member? ×

Custom Jazz Bass

Dubs

Well, when I say “Celinder Clone”, I only mean that the body shape has been cloned from a Celinder – Slightly smaller than a traditional Jazz body.

This is just a teaser (cos I don’t have all my parts yet) –

[attachment=16453:celinder1.JPG] [attachment=16454:celinder2.JPG]

It has a mahogany core with mildly quilted redwood top and rear, with a sycamore veneer under the redwood top. I’ve damped it down to show off the grain :brow:

More to follow shortly (I hope)

[quote name='budget bassist' post='338397' date='Nov 27 2008, 01:46 PM']Awesome, i take it you're doing it yourself then?[/quote]

Pretty much - I'm not doing the routing by myself and I've bought a neck (just waiting for it to be delivered). I'll be finishing the body and assembling it all myself. Probably won't be finished till Jan/Feb, if not a bit later, but that's just due to a lack of cash-flow and waiting for parts as well as waiting for a date I can have the routing done for free. I’ll keep this thread updated with pics when something new happens though :)

[quote name='raze' post='338645' date='Nov 27 2008, 04:53 PM']Nice
Im currently looking for a jazz body and neck to do the same
I dont have much money though so im trying to do it on the cheap
Where did you get this one[/quote]

Yeah I’m doing this on a tight budget as well. I’ve been lucky with my parts so far and it’s coming in at a great price for me. I picked up the body from Chopthebass who was looking to sell up a lot of his stuff as he’s moving out to Canada. It’s a great body and just needs routing and finishing up, then lacquering (although I’m toying with the idea of using beeswax instead of lacquer). This should be great when I’m done, but there’s a long way to go and I’m a bit nervous…

[quote name='budget bassist' post='338667' date='Nov 27 2008, 05:20 PM']Oh yeah of course, i remember you asking about the routing. Did you make the body yourself? I was thinking about doing something similar, making a jazz bass and making the body myself from ash, but i decided not to because it would be a bit expensive... and i probably dont have the right tools/experience[/quote]

Nah there’s no way I’ve got the skills/knowhow to make the body myself from scratch, although one day in the distant future I’ll be giving it a go.

[quote name='Toasted' post='339837' date='Nov 28 2008, 04:43 PM']We should A/B this with my Celinder when you're done.[/quote]

Yeah definitely, but I’m predicting the only similarities will be the shape/size of the body due to the fact that I’m using budget(ish) parts – Gotoh 201 bridge, Artec SE3 3 band pre with Artec J/J pickups, and a Mighty Mite maple Jazz neck probably with Wilkinson tuners – we’ll see how all that pans out though.

Edited by benwhiteuk

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='338272' date='Nov 27 2008, 11:58 AM']Well, when I say “Celinder Clone”, I only mean that the body shape has been cloned from a Celinder – Slightly smaller than a traditional Jazz body.

This is just a teaser (cos I don’t have all my parts yet) –

[attachment=16453:celinder1.JPG] [attachment=16454:celinder2.JPG]

It has a mahogany core with mildly quilted redwood top and rear, with a sycamore veneer under the redwood top. I’ve damped it down to show off the grain :brow:

More to follow shortly (I hope)[/quote]

MB1. :)
Damped it Down?.....Surely Not? :huh:

[quote name='skelf' post='344870' date='Dec 3 2008, 10:41 PM']You would be better with a hard finish on the Redwood as it is usually pretty soft so would dent very easily. At least that is my experience with the Redwood I have.
Alan[/quote]

Yeah it does seem pretty soft – there are a few dings that I have to get out of it before I finish it. Thanks for the advice.

[quote name='skelf' post='344895' date='Dec 3 2008, 10:56 PM']No trouble.
When you get round to finishing it if you have any questions drop me a mail and I can tell you how I go about it.
Alan[/quote]

Much appreciated :)

There are a few things I’m looking into at the moment (different types of lacquers), but I’m getting a few weeks ahead of myself. It would be great to hear how it’s done properly :huh:

A picture update –

I collected my neck from the Royal Mail (Royal Fail?) earlier. It looks and feels great, although obviously I’ve not used it yet :) It’s lovely and thin like all good Jazz necks should be, and has some nice looking grain patterns:

[attachment=16846:DSC01799.JPG]
[attachment=16847:DSC01803.JPG]
[attachment=16848:DSC01804.JPG]

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='345610' date='Dec 4 2008, 04:03 PM']A picture update –

I collected my neck from the Royal Mail (Royal Fail?) earlier. It looks and feels great, although obviously I’ve not used it yet :huh: It’s lovely and thin like all good Jazz necks should be, and has some nice looking grain patterns:

[attachment=16846:DSC01799.JPG]
[attachment=16847:DSC01803.JPG]
[attachment=16848:DSC01804.JPG][/quote]

MB1. :)
This can't be right?... that necks still in one piece! :huh: