Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot 'Tuning' rings (on cabs ect.)

JamieBenzies

Hi everyone,
When I received my trace head and cab from a TNT van about a month ago the courier man dragged out a incredibly battered looking set of boxes.

Luckily most of the damage was to the actual wrapping (which was incredibly crude by the way), but the cab did suffer a small amount of damage, to my dismay the guy handed me a shattered plastic ring, for a moment i had no idea what it was and then i noticed the part missing from the cab.

So yeah can you get this part replaced? It's for a 1048H cab but i think all the rings are the same size anyway.

When the part was smashed off, the big tube going into the cab must have been bashed in a bit as well, as when i super glued the ring together and put it on it didn't fit properly, luckily i managed to pull the tube out to its proper position 10 minutes ago.

Which arises another thought... It may have just been me but when i got the tube back in position the cab sounded much clearer and more defined... I had no idea these 'tuning' rings did that much!

DON'T TRUST TNT!!

Cheers fellows :)

Jamie

Edited by benzies123

I'm sure I've seen similar plastic tuning cylinders in Maplins in the section where they put speaker grills etc, I've never bothered measuring them but they always look very similar to what I have on my TE combo but obviously without the name imprinted;
[url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=17602"]http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=17602[/url]
Any use?

As a sometime dismantler of my own Trace gear (for cleaning/servicing, etc.) I can happily inform you that the circular rings are nothing but cosmetic trim.
They DO cover the sharp points of the expanded grille, though.
The foam backing on the said trim rings is just to stop the grille from clattering against them when playing at high volumes etc.
The rings also conceal the fact that the port tubes themselves are nothing more that what looks like drain pipe cut to the correct length.
In my 1153, 2103h & 1048h, the port tubes are all securely glued into the front baffle (the face that the drivers screw into!)

Why didn't Trace put the ports [i]behind[/i] the grille?
I have a sneaking feeling that the ports are too long and have to stand proud of the baffle to prevent the rear being blocked by having it shoved up against the inside of the rear of the cabinet.
It's a pain if you ask me, as small felines have a tendency to climb up the green mouse fur covering and in through the exposed ports...

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='342214' date='Dec 1 2008, 06:42 PM']As a sometime dismantler of my own Trace gear (for cleaning/servicing, etc.) I can happily inform you that the circular rings are nothing but cosmetic trim.
They DO cover the sharp points of the expanded grille, though.
The foam backing on the said trim rings is just to stop the grille from clattering against them when playing at high volumes etc.
The rings also conceal the fact that the port tubes themselves are nothing more that what looks like drain pipe cut to the correct length.
In my 1153, 2103h & 1048h, the port tubes are all securely glued into the front baffle (the face that the drivers screw into!)

Why didn't Trace put the ports [i]behind[/i] the grille?
I have a sneaking feeling that the ports are too long and have to stand proud of the baffle to prevent the rear being blocked by having it shoved up against the inside of the rear of the cabinet.
It's a pain if you ask me, as small felines have a tendency to climb up the green mouse fur covering and in through the exposed ports...[/quote]

Didn't the Trace ports have a short thread so caps could be used to seal the ports (on later cabs at least)? It might explain why the tubing extends to the front of the grill as well.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='342214' date='Dec 1 2008, 06:42 PM']It's a pain if you ask me, as small felines have a tendency to climb up the green mouse fur covering and in through the exposed ports...[/quote]

ROFL! I have the same trouble with my open-back guitar amp. No harm done (yet) but I have nightmares of claws through cones, or else the little terminals on the Accutronics reverb tank being gnawed :)

[quote name='Musky' post='344587' date='Dec 3 2008, 07:02 PM']Didn't the Trace ports have a short thread so caps could be used to seal the ports (on later cabs at least)? It might explain why the tubing extends to the front of the grill as well.[/quote]
Yup

Yep - capped so you can port your cab differently

Posted a pic of mine here

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=33542&st=0&gopid=345302&#entry345302"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry345302[/url]

Not sure how to link an attachment to another thread without uploading again

• 3 years later...