Why become a member? ×

Crack fix without refinishing??

Clarky72

Does anyone know anyone that can fix this without refinishing the bass? Doesn't have to be invisible (although preferred), just something to get rid of the botched fix.

Current owner says this...

About 6 years ago it got knocked over and I noticed a tiny crack in the back which is only in the top layers of the wood at the back into the electronics cavity to a few inches from the bottom edge before the battery panel. I panicked and over reacted so I wicked in some superglue and added some brass plates to brace the crack. The crack hasn't moved since and to be honest I wish Id left it alone. I did think about getting it refinished but the finish is so lovely I didn't want to risk ruining it See photos. 

$_12-2.jpg

$_12.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Clarky72

You will need to refinish once those horrible brass plates are removed.

All it will need is some wood glue and clamping while the glue sets and to close the crack. 

Do it once and do it right. Refinish shouldn't cost much more than £200 

First of all you could remove the brass plates. That would cut the eyesore rating by about 90%. After that you could maybe carefully sand the excess glue back to level with the body (600 grit sterated aluminium oxide paper followed by micromesh ideally) then polish out the scratches with T-cut (or even smoother polishing compound). After that, you'd need to fill the screw holes with dowels, dye them to match as close as possible, then drop fill with lacquer and sand/polish.

I don't think you'll ever not be able to see the repairs, but they shouldn't be too noticeable from a small distance 

WOW! What a vision! I agree that removing those brass plates will make it look a lot better and avoid the danger of injuring yourself when plugging/unplugging the jack. A good luthier should be able to do the job Norris has described in the previous post to an almost invisible finish. It's just a matter of how much are you willing to spend on it.