Why become a member? ×

Can you read music?

funkysimon

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1459977347' post='3021533']
We visited some friends in Paris a few years ago and their daughter was learning the cello. We were aware that she played to a fairly high standard because she had just come back from attending a masterclasses in New York. Anyway, she played us a few tunes and I mentioned that I liked the Bach cello suites. Had she learned any, I said? Not really, she replied, but I have the music and I've played them before. She then proceeded to sight read an entire cello suite from start to finish, and it was impeccable (fingers all over the place). She was 13 at the time.

I enjoy playing the bass but I'm under no illusions about my capabilities. And yes, I can read, but I'd never be able to do that in a million years.
[/quote]

They're really good practice, and beautiful to play. They're actually harder to play on bass the on cello due to the tuning of bass.

That's the thing about classical musicians, when you learn to play cello or violin, it's usually assumed that you'll read music I think. I started off on violin when I was a child, I had lessons at school, and learned to read music. I then switched to playing classical guitar, and again I was playing classical music, and Beatles etc, arranged for classical guitar.

When I started playing bass, then I learned the notes for bass staff. I just assumed, quite wrongly :), that you had to read music to play. I just thought that whoever I played with, would give me written music to play.

I'm currently doing a score in Sibelius for a piece that I've written for my MMus. It's a composition for string trio, and uses bass, treble and alto clefs, it's confusing switching from one to the other.

Edited by ambient