Why become a member? ×

my new head!

umph

time to update! i found an old ROOST amp on ebay that need alot of TLC but it happened to have some partridge transformers (score!). So i redid the power amp and phaser invertor up to HIWATT standards(6XEL34 with an added choke) and then added an orange preamp with an added mid boost and master volume! waiting on new valves now to fire it up and see if it works! Tested the power supply which seems to be putting out a good voltage per say.

Now to decide what colour tolex to redo the enclosure in i was thinking of going for racing green and gold stripes might be a little to cheesey though

before

after

Edited by umph

[quote name='umph' post='336495' date='Nov 25 2008, 05:52 PM']decided i'm going to build my own head so i thought i'd start a build diary. decided upon a true two channel amp the clean side being a matamp style one and the dirty being based around a jmp with more gain and a james tone stack as apposed to the marshall one. The power amp section is going to be 4 kt88s in a push pull configaration which should give enough clean head room for my needs.
now to order all the parts![/quote]
This should be good. You've got me hooked already :)

[quote name='5_string_death' post='336636' date='Nov 25 2008, 09:04 PM']Don't suppose you might start building and selling them if this one turns out well? Could probably get some good business off here.
Zach[/quote]
i'd love to but its quite a labour intensive process, like 20 to 30 hours depending on the build so i'd not be able to do it for that cheap but if people would be willing to be decently for the labour i'd love to!

[quote name='umph' post='337440' date='Nov 26 2008, 04:54 PM']i'd love to but its quite a labour intensive process, like 20 to 30 hours depending on the build so i'd not be able to do it for that cheap but if people would be willing to be decently for the labour i'd love to![/quote]

hmm the idea of a valve head form you and a cab from alex...ultimate bass chat rig!

just won this! [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190269532042"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190269532042 ://http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=190269532042 [/url]
with a good clean up could be a promising base for the head. lots of sockets etc hopefully still decent transformers. think i may move away from the dual channel idea as i've realised the distortion tone i want is going to come from power amp distortion not pre.

• 5 weeks later...