Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton Truss Rod

Jack

Guys, girls,

The new Jameson flats on my PB-50 are winning the battle against the neck. I went to adjust the truss rod last night but it didn't seem as though any of my allen keys fit. Certainly the one I normally use (in my Fender CS bass setup kit) didn't seem like it fit.

Can anyone confirm the size for me please? Is there a knack to this?

My Fender is easy enough to do and my EBMMs have the wheels, this is anew one for me...

Thanks!

Jack

5 hours ago, Mottlefeeder said:

Harley Benton being built for a German company, and Fender being a US company, could it be that your existing allen keys are imperial and the HB needs a metric one?

David

I've got both in my proper set, I couldn't find the right one anywhere.

4 hours ago, ikay said:

This thread suggests it's 4mm - 

Will double-double try this one, good spot!

3 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

All HB basses I've come across arrived with an allen key - use that.

Not mine. Nor did it come with the nice flats or the Wilkinson pickups! I like that bass a lot and they're still a bargain but not quite the bargain they once were.

29 minutes ago, Jack said:

I've got both in my proper set, I couldn't find the right one anywhere.

Will double-double try this one, good spot!

Not mine. Nor did it come with the nice flats or the Wilkinson pickups! I like that bass a lot and they're still a bargain but not quite the bargain they once were.

It's been nearly a year since they stopped using Wilkinson pickups, the factories in China kept getting fakes and it caused Thomann no end of trouble with returns. The PB-50 has always shipped with D'Addario roundwounds.

edit I'm now on my 5th PB-50 and agree while still a bargain it's not quite as good a bargain. A few corners have been cut to save costs. 

Edited by kodiakblair

5 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

The PB-50 has always shipped with D'Addario roundwounds.

Just checked the Thomann page, can't believe that those were D'Addario. They're the brand I use on my main basses, I love their strings. I suppose they could be made especially for Thomann or whatever but they felt really different to the strings I usually use and they felt 'cheap'. I wonder if that was psychosomatic and just my internal bias?

FWIW I knew that the pickups were Roswell before buying, it seems there's little consensus with people preferring one pup over the other.

I've owned both Wilkinson and Roswell pup versions. Personally I liked the newer Roswell pup best, I liked the bigger poles and sounds big and warm as a 50s SC should.

The newer models have deffo gone down in quality, the last one I had came with really poorly finished frets, and a nut which was cut too low - had to use the baking soda trick. I won't be getting another again. Shame.