Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot 4x10 combo

Jal

Hows it going! Long time lurker first time poster.

I am having the hardest time finding much information about a certain Trace Elliot bass combo amp. A friend has a Trace Elliot GP7SM 250 and I like it a lot. I have found a couple people talking about them online but other than that, its like they don't exist. So, since I don't think I'll be able to find that exact one, I was wondering if you could suggest another Trace Elliot 4x10 combo? I know there are other GP series 4x10 combos and I've seen MKV's too. I just wanna make sure I'm not looking at the wrong ones.

Thanks!

-jal

my friends amp:

IMG_2284.JPG

Edited by Jal

I used a Series 6 GP12 410 (AH200 head) at a rehearsal room a couple of months ago which convinced me I needed a Series 6 AH200 in my life. The combo was surprisingly shallow front to back but sounded great. If you dont need to move it much you can get them for as little as £150. The head will cost about the same but is way more convenient and works perhaps even better with newer cabs.

Edited by Sparky Mark
Spelling mistake
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply guys but can you recommend a model? Do you know if the GP or MKV series is better than the other? Also is there a way to tell what year it is based on the logo or something?

thanks again!

17 minutes ago, Jal said:

Thanks for the reply guys but can you recommend a model? Do you know if the GP or MKV series is better than the other? Also is there a way to tell what year it is based on the logo or something?

thanks again!

don't know how you tell the year, but I've got  SMX GP12 and series 6 GP12  heads, not much to choose between them sound wise tbh, I've also had a 7125 1 x 15 combo (which I got rid off because of the weight) I also use a Trace head where we rehearse, all fine amps, the only T E amp (combo) I've not liked is the commando range, very strange EQ section

For me the TE sound I want is clear, full and punchy. I found the extra facilities on the SMX (tube pre and compression) didn't add anything for me and maybe even took something away. From a simple ergonomics perspective I prefer the longer travel of the Series 6 graphic EQ sliders. I went for the 200 watter because it doesn't have a fan (excellent for studio/low volume practice) and is feather-light compared to the larger UV lit, fan cooled models. Oh, and it's the loudest 200 watt head I've come across to date. With the pre gain set at about half way I barely need the output above 2! I doubt the output control gives a linear increase in volume but I'm not brave/stupid enough to see where its limit is. 

Edited by Sparky Mark
Add comment
  • Like 1

The earliest Trace 4x10 combo's were black Painted/wood finish (MKIII's I think?) Came with either a GP11 or a very basic GP7 Pre-amp.

These combo's later got a covering when the MKIV's came along.

With the introduction of the revised MKV range, the GP7 was dropped in favour of the now footswitchable GP11 pre-amp, The combo still had the moniker 1110 combo, up to this point a similar sized 1x15 version was available.

Then along comes the GP12 Pre-amp in about '88, with the extra 30hz slider, so the Combo became the 1210 & a much smaller size 1x15 combo. The power was increased to 200 watts at 4 ohms as opposed to the previous 150 watts (Think you'd struggle to hear much difference as they were all punchy beasts?).

The next in the 1210 series, introduced in the early '90's was the SMX (12 band graphic) & SM (7 band). The SMX series having the twin pre-shape contours & twin hi/low compressors, along with the valve pre-amp option. I think Fans were dropped in the favour of heat-sinks on the amps? 

A HF Horn was introduced as an option as well..

Trace Elliot then underwent a series of buy-outs, firstly by Kaman & then Gibson & later Peavey.

The covering on the combo's changed from a black vinyl to a green carpet fleck, with a slight change to the face of the pre-amps. The controls remained virtually unchanged but I recall the compressor being simplified?

That's about all I can remember of the 4x10 combo's?, apart from the fact that they all weighed a ton, They all performed brilliantly as a stand alone combo without the need for an extension cab for the majority of the time? You certainly found out who your friends were when it come to shifting one around if you didn't have a sack-barrow or fitted castors...

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Bassman68 so are you saying my friends is from the 90's or 80's? Are you also saying that as long as I get one thats before the buyouts im good?

thanks again!

I'd say from your photo Jal, Your friend has an early 90's SM Series combo?

All the combo's do a fine job, whatever the era/series?

The only problem (apart from their weight) that I ever encountered when I played through one, was that the sound carried much further than I imagined i.e Standing on a small stage within a few feet from the amp, you never got the full impact of your sound? Yet you could be crushing the first couple of rows of the audience with sheer 'Trace watts'!

On 5/10/2018 at 08:56, Sparky Mark said:

For me the TE sound I want is clear, full and punchy. I found the extra facilities on the SMX (tube pre and compression) didn't add anything for me and maybe even took something away. From a simple ergonomics perspective I prefer the longer travel of the Series 6 graphic EQ sliders. I went for the 200 watter because it doesn't have a fan (excellent for studio/low volume practice) and is feather-light compared to the larger UV lit, fan cooled models. Oh, and it's the loudest 200 watt head I've come across to date. With the pre gain set at about half way I barely need the output above 2! I doubt the output control gives a linear increase in volume but I'm not brave/stupid enough to see where its limit is. 

What this man says, basically.

I also have an AH200 head, mounted in a shallow rack. The reasons above exactly match mine for needing this amp in my life. It's also dead easy for servicing when required.

My GP7SM250 also gets a lot of use, but there's something about the Series 6 that just does it for me.

Paired with quality light cabs, you are good to go.

• Like 1

The guys have it covered pretty much...whichever you buy (except, as Paul says, the Commando range) you won't be disappointed.

Weight is a big factor with the combos - personally I'd get myself a good head and some lightweight cabs - mine sounded fantastic through Vanderkley cabs - this makes the entire rig manageable and gives you some chance of your back not being destroyed prematurely.

I think Discreet has my old 1x15 combo for sale in the Amps & Cabs for sale section - absolute beast and guaranteed to annoy the neighbours on the next hillside. 

If you're interested in some cheap TE cabs, send me a PM.