Why become a member? ×

NBD: Bongo.. no.. wait?

Woodinblack

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

I like the idea but it does look like it was designed by someone who has once seen a Bongo, rather than someone who is looking directly at one to copy it.

more someone being given instructions by someone who once saw one.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, xgsjx said:

I had a wee play on a real MM Bongo 5 HH.  Massive sounding bass & a very playable neck.  But it was in gold & I'm still not sold on the shape.

I wasn't when I was first offered one, but now I wouldn't mind one at all. But they are far from cheap so I doubt I will ever get one as in that price bracket there are lots of more desirable instruments.

But if it was gold.. hmm...

I really liked the Bongo I had a good go on a while back - an extraordinary amount of very tweakable output, and it played very well. If I didn't look down, it was a great bass, but I'm terribly shallow like that, and I just couldn't live with the shape. I have a friend who has an uncanny knack of vocalising underlying issues, and therefore making them something you just can't unhear - he 'bog seat'-ed the Bongo for me, and even ruined Corvettes with his 'that top horn horn looks like a nob'... 😕😁

I love the head shape, tho... 😀

• Haha 1

On 08/05/2018 at 22:53, drTStingray said:

Extraordinary!! Here's my actual Bongo for you to compare - somewhat different shape for starters....😀image.thumb.jpeg.ffb0a0da43083e9d0824bf06c4ea3437.jpeg

That Aliexpress Bongo puts me in mind of the Chinese bootleg version of the BMW Mini - as featured on Top Gear - similar comical shape reproduction!! 

Love that tiramisu swirl pickguard ❤️