Why become a member? ×

Warwick Thumb 5 * SOLD *

joe_bass

Heya guys this is a feeler for my Thumb bass.

Just a bit in to why I want to sell it...

Since picking up the bass guitar again back in May or so I've only really been playing for say 20 mins max at a time. However I recently joined a band about a month ago so have been playing for longer periods of time at practices etc. Everytime I take the Thumb along I find after about 30 minutes of playing I get pains in my left wrist which also then sometimes spread up to my fingers, I damaged my wrists in a weight lifting accident in 2006 so I think it's the C shape profile of the neck which is causing it to flair up. I really don't want to own a bass that will merely be played for a few minutes every now & again before being set down again so therefore I'm considering selling it.

It's a 2003 BO model, MEC pick ups, 2 band EQ. However I have upgraded the nut from the Just A Nut 2 to the JAN 3. There is a small bit of fret wear, other than that it is all in working order. Great feel, great sound, another great Warwick instrument :) I was planning to fit a 3 band EQ that I got off another member so could also throw that in if needs be.

Only have one photo at the moment, the bass is fitted with Black Beauty strings.

Behold the awesome picture quality of the LG Viewty :huh:

[url="http://img114.imageshack.us/my.php?image=thumblk3.jpg"][/url][url="http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php"][/url]

Sorry about the quality, will upload some more, hopefully sharper ones later.

Don't have too much of a price in mind so PM me if you're interested.

Cheers

Joe

Edited by joe_bass

[quote name='joe_bass' post='336036' date='Nov 25 2008, 09:18 AM']Hey mate

Would like around £800 for it, price negotiable though![/quote]

I remember you contributing to a thread a little while ago about the current value of Thumb BO 5’s…

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='336089' date='Nov 25 2008, 10:51 AM']I remember you contributing to a thread a little while ago about the current value of Thumb BO 5’s…[/quote]

Notice the words [b]I'd like[/b] & [b]negotiable[/b] plus the fact that this is a feeler, I'll admit I wouldn't quite be willing to part with it for what some Warwicks seem to fetch at present but it's simple logic to start higher & then come down isn't it.

Thanks for the constructive comment though Ben!

[quote name='joe_bass' post='336036' date='Nov 25 2008, 09:18 AM']Hey mate

Would like around £800 for it, price negotiable though![/quote]

Good luck then man, with Warwicks current value you'd be lucky to get £700.

Great bass though.

[quote name='joe_bass' post='336144' date='Nov 25 2008, 11:51 AM']Notice the words [b]I'd like[/b] & [b]negotiable[/b] plus the fact that this is a feeler, I'll admit I wouldn't quite be willing to part with it for what some Warwicks seem to fetch at present but it's simple logic to start higher & then come down isn't it.

Thanks for the constructive comment though Ben![/quote]

I didnt mention figures; I neither implied that your price was high nor low, just that I remember you contributing to a thread where the price of these basses was being discussed and therefore I know you have a good understanding of what is achievable at the moment. Sorry if I touched a nerve though.

[quote name='Josh' post='336145' date='Nov 25 2008, 11:51 AM']Good luck then man, with Warwicks current value you'd be lucky to get £700.

Great bass though.[/quote]

Cheers. Hope to get a decent price for it, about time Warwicks went up a bit!

[quote name='Galilee' post='336249' date='Nov 25 2008, 02:01 PM']Are you sure that the wrist pain isn't caused by holding the neck up? My NT5 goes into a terrific nose dive first chance it gets, and it used to give me terrible grief in my left wrist.[/quote]

Have been sitting down a lot playing it & holding the neck up more to minimise the wrist bending, however this hasn't really helped. I've got stubby fingers so I think the combination of this & the thick neck is what is causing the problem.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='336621' date='Nov 25 2008, 08:50 PM']I didnt mention figures; I neither implied that your price was high nor low, just that I remember you contributing to a thread where the price of these basses was being discussed and therefore I know you have a good understanding of what is achievable at the moment. Sorry if I touched a nerve though.[/quote]

Alright mate well I got the feeling you were implying the price is high & that I know it due to the comment I made in that previous thread.

"I've got stubby fingers so I think the combination of this & the thick neck is what is causing the problem."

They can be funny buggers to play. They have to be strapped quite high to make them sit still. I'm not complaining though - it's given me the impetus to switch my right hand to the floating thumb technique to reduce wrist bend. Yep, the Thumbs have managed to force me to improve my technique. :) They're still heavy b@stards though. :huh:

Anyway, good luck with the sale. Would be tempted myself but my bass spending is done for the forseeable future. Have a bump.

As for price (which I think is fair), you could just take it out of the equation and aim for a straight swap for a Streamer Stage 1..... :huh:

[quote name='rjb' post='337163' date='Nov 26 2008, 12:37 PM']Yep, the Thumbs have managed to force me to improve my technique. :) They're still heavy b@stards though. :huh:

Anyway, good luck with the sale. Would be tempted myself but my bass spending is done for the forseeable future. Have a bump.

As for price (which I think is fair), you could just take it out of the equation and aim for a straight swap for a Streamer Stage 1..... :huh:[/quote]

One more wouldn't hurt! :huh:

Yeah the Thumb has forced me to change technique in the right hand as with the small body I've been draping my hand over the top which has led to pains. However I can't see a way around the left hand problem with this instrument.

Do the streamer stage 1s have less chunky necks then? If there are models in Warwick's range like this then I would be happy to consider!

[quote name='joe_bass' post='337558' date='Nov 26 2008, 06:42 PM']One more wouldn't hurt! :)

Yeah the Thumb has forced me to change technique in the right hand as with the small body I've been draping my hand over the top which has led to pains. However I can't see a way around the left hand problem with this instrument.

Do the streamer stage 1s have less chunky necks then? If there are models in Warwick's range like this then I would be happy to consider![/quote]

My 2000 SSI has a very slim neck - similar to a slim Jazz neck IMO and my 04 Streamer Std as well, but my ’98 SSII is quite chunky but still as narrow as the others - it can be hit and miss with this type of thing; the same models from different periods can be completely different, and even the same models from the same period can feel considerably different, don’t know why though. I'd avoid the generalisation that Warwick necks = chunky cos in practise it's not really true, so I'd deffo recommend a "try before you buy" policy if you're after something with a specifically slim neck profile.

[quote name='joe_bass' post='337558' date='Nov 26 2008, 06:42 PM']One more wouldn't hurt! :)

Do the streamer stage 1s have less chunky necks then? If there are models in Warwick's range like this then I would be happy to consider![/quote]

Had the same problem with the riht hand on my infinity, it was fine to play the A D and G, but when i came up toe the E it could be very painful, as someone previously mentioned floating thumb is a blessing with these smaller bodied basses

[quote name='joe_bass' post='337558' date='Nov 26 2008, 06:42 PM']Do the streamer stage 1s have less chunky necks then? If there are models in Warwick's range like this then I would be happy to consider![/quote]

As Ben said, they can be found. I think the pre 2000 wenge-necked versions were often slimmer, but it does vary. The other reason I suggested the SSI is that the longer horn should give a much easier balance (less dive), which should in turn help your left wrist. :)

Edited by rjb

streamers balance really well. I do have an SSI 2000 which is an awesome bass. Bought it from Paul here in BC. I did love the thumb growl but i couldnt balance it. It used to look a bit funny as Im 6'5"!!! The chunking up of post 2000 SSI would probably be in order to accomodate for the stiffness lost by using less of the "brown stuff" on the neck.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='joe_bass' post='389573' date='Jan 23 2009, 02:12 PM']Did have a potential buyer but interest seems to have faded. It's depressing looking at this thing propped up against the wall so I'd really like to get it to a new home.[/quote]

It's depressing not being able to afford it even at this very reasonable price. I need one for my collection! I need a new job first, though. ;)

Edited by rjb