Why become a member? ×

Toyah Wilcox

Blink

On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 19:24, super al said:

Whereabouts are you (I'm not a stalker, honest). A few years back I was told that Bob n Toyah lived just outside Salisbury in one of the many posh villages. Just a rumour like, never actually saw them in Waitrose or owt (just the drummer from Dodgy, which was good enough for me)

She used to live in Broad Chalke (not far from where Sir Terry Pratchett used to live). She once stuck her 'V's up at my Father in Law.  Broad Chalke isn't really posh BTW, although they like their WW2 festival.

2 hours ago, DorsetBlue said:

She used to live in Broad Chalke (not far from where Sir Terry Pratchett used to live). She once stuck her 'V's up at my Father in Law.  Broad Chalke isn't really posh BTW, although they like their WW2 festival.

Thanks DorsetBlue, I'm not far from Broad Chalke in Wilton. Terry Pratchett and William Golding I seem to remember lived there. We went to the History Fest in its last year at Ebbesbourne, lots of very heavy downpours and Roman soldiers marching through the mud in sandles, it was like a Carry On film.

On ‎02‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 13:12, super al said:

Thanks DorsetBlue, I'm not far from Broad Chalke in Wilton. Terry Pratchett and William Golding I seem to remember lived there. We went to the History Fest in its last year at Ebbesbourne, lots of very heavy downpours and Roman soldiers marching through the mud in sandles, it was like a Carry On film.

I lived in Wilton for many years.  My Wilton Middle School head teacher used to live in Broad Chalke (might well still do but he must be getting on a bit) and I used to go to Wilton Youth Band practices there.

On 28/04/2018 at 19:57, TrevorR said:

Reluctantly took my then girlfriend to see her way back in about 1982. Her backing band had Phil Spalding on bass and Simon Phillips on drums... not too shabby. Cracking gig in the end. Not at all what I’d expected.

Phil is a friend of mine (and an incredible bass player which is why his phone rang so much back then -  he was very nearly in Pink Floyd but that's another story) and yes, that 1982 summer tour was incredible, best band I've seen to this day. It's all captured on the live album 'Warrior Rock'. The earlier 'Shostring' lineup was very good also. Great exciting music.

Sadly the Toyah of today (including her current live band) are no comparison at all to the 79-82 era - when it was all at it's peak - and Toyah was the name of the band.

Edited by markorbit
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, DorsetBlue said:

I lived in Wilton for many years.  My Wilton Middle School head teacher used to live in Broad Chalke (might well still do but he must be getting on a bit) and I used to go to Wilton Youth Band practices there.

I think Wilton has high concentration of bassists then. On our road alone I've seen 3 other bass players.

The middle school is in the next road to ours and is now a Plymouth Brethren school. 2 doors up from us are a couple of retired teachers from the school. When we 1st moved here I saw the giant Jim'll fix it badge but that has gone now!!! (Apparently the only giant badge given out by JS). I think the youth band are still going, we get a brass band going street to street every Christmas!

No Toyah Wilcox though (thought I'd mention her to keep this post 'on thread' :D)

5 hours ago, markorbit said:

Phil is a friend of mine (and an incredible bass player which is why his phone rang so much back then -  he was very nearly in Pink Floyd but that's another story) and yes, that 1982 summer tour was incredible, best band I've seen to this day. It's all captured on the live album 'Warrior Rock'. The earlier 'Shostring' lineup was very good also. Great exciting music.

Sadly the Toyah of today (including her current live band) are no comparison at all to the 79-82 era - when it was all at it's peak - and Toyah was the name of the band.

I couldn't agree more - Warrior Rock is one of the best live albums ever (even though the CD version is a little butchered and misses out on most of the band / audience interaction).  I also agree with your comments about Phil Spalding - one of those almost anonymous musicians that popped up on everyhing from Mike Oldfield to Heaven 17 and, of course, Toyah. By a slight coincidence, my wife taught Keith Hale's (producer, keyboard player and song writer of "It's a mystery") daughter.

Edited by darkandrew

9 hours ago, super al said:

The middle school is in the next road to ours and is now a Plymouth Brethren school. 2 doors up from us are a couple of retired teachers from the school. When we 1st moved here I saw the giant Jim'll fix it badge but that has gone now!!! (Apparently the only giant badge given out by JS). I think the youth band are still going, we get a brass band going street to street every Christmas!

When the middle school shut, they moved the Jim'll Fix It badge AND the Rolf Harris painting of Mary and the Baby Jesus to Wilton Community Centre (you can't make this up - WMS had Xmas shows for both of them!!).  I would assume they have been stored or burnt since certain revelations have been discovered. :biggrin:

18 hours ago, darkandrew said:

I couldn't agree more - Warrior Rock is one of the best live albums ever (even though the CD version is a little butchered and misses out on most of the band / audience interaction).  I also agree with your comments about Phil Spalding - one of those almost anonymous musicians that popped up on everyhing from Mike Oldfield to Heaven 17 and, of course, Toyah. By a slight coincidence, my wife taught Keith Hale's (producer, keyboard player and song writer of "It's a mystery") daughter.

That would be Alice? Nice guy is Keith. I did his Wikipedia page for him (which turned out to be a lot harder than expected !!). I now feel Joel Bogen needs a mention - VERY tasteful guitarist, doesn't overplay but can step forward for a blistering solo - I loved that band!

2 hours ago, markorbit said:

That would be Alice?

Yes, that's her. I never got to see Toyah with this line up (could you call them prog punk?) but I did see Toyah Wilcox in the 90s at the Marquee Club in London although the band were nothing like these guys (but Toyah did pat me on the head which kind of made up for it a little bit).