p90fool

SOLD Wal Custom Fretless PRICE DROP! £3750
£4000

Posted (edited)

Due to various tedious household repairs sadly it's time to sell my old Wal Custom. It's been in my family since around March 1982 and is unmodified.

It's a fretless 4-string in African walnut with an ebony fingerboard. It's generally in very good condition and plays very well. It has a few small dings and the lacquer has gone cloudy in a few places, which only really shows up in natural light, but considering it's approaching 40 years old it's really nice. 

The electrics work perfectly and were overhauled by Pete the Fish in around 2003.

Serial Number is PB1813, it's signed and dated 2/9/80 by Wal himself and includes the original brown Wal case. 

Feel free to ask any questions, I can also take more detailed pics of any specific parts. 

I'm in mid Wales but do travel a fair bit, and I'm asking for £3750. 

Cheers, Julian

IMG_20180426_140735842.jpg

IMG_20180426_140645306.jpg

IMG_20170808_095410385.jpg

IMG_20180426_140452112.jpg

IMG_20180426_140749991.jpg

IMG_20180426_141246055.jpg

IMG_20180426_140943870.jpg

IMG_20180426_140615463.jpg

Edited by p90fool
  • Like 2

That's something really special! What a beautifull Wal & a true piece of history. That letter is just hilarious, good old Pete. Bless him.

• Like 1

Brings back memories 😍

I remember Selling this bass to Penny in early 80’s. 

I recorded a few jingles on it back in the day. 

Glad you have looked after it. 

• Like 1

Wow that's awesome, I often wondered whether it was originally built for you, as it had your name on the neck! Hope you're keeping well, and I assume you're still playing? 

I'm sorry to say Penny lost her battle with cancer last year.

We were playing in the same band when she bought the Wal from you in 1982.

It really was her pride and joy, and a big part of her identity for all those years. The fact that she had a fretless Wal Custom and a knackered Hillman Imp proved that she had her priorities in the correct order. Thanks so much for getting in touch,

Cheers, Julian.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of Penny’s battle. So many of my friends and family are affected by that curse. 

I will try and upload a jingle I used the Wal on sometime. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Hellzero
      Thinning down the herd, so selling the basses I don't use.

LEDUC MP 631 SF (the rarest one with 31 positions, Brazilian rosewood fretboard and Bartolini Quad Coils pickups) !!!

The specifications :
      34 " scale.
      31 positions.
      2 mm action under the C string up to 2.5 mm under the B string
      15 mm strings spacing at the Leduc locking bridge (not disturbing as it is a fretless and it allows for ultra-fast playing).
      9 mm at the ebony nut.
      2 truss rods.
      Gotoh tuners.
      One-piece hard rock Canadian maple super fast neckthrough with Brazilian rosewood (Dalbergia Nigra) fretboard and headstock veneer.
      Bubinga wings.
      2 parallel wired Bartolini Quad Coils with passive volume, balance and tone.
      Weight 4.2 kilos.
      Delivered in Fame semi rigid case.
      Equipped with new Fodera nickel strings (028 - 044 - 062 - 085 - 106 -125).
      Waxed finish.
      Delivered to Yves ARGANT on the 22/05/1990.
      Set up by Christophe LEDUC himself.
      It is the rarest Masterpiece (31 positions, Brazilian rosewood fretboard and Bartolini pickups) completely original and never modified.
      Official price today will be more than 4500 euros.

It's a 6 strings fretless bass with 31 positions so you can even play some Michael Manring with it.
      The pictures to see the real condition, which shows only some little wear with the usual light marks of time :

And here an album with some more pictures : https://photos.app.goo.gl/M6SGZU1QnEymRKqU8
    • By ryanwoods1998
      £480 now £400 Price reduced for quick sale as I've just had to buy a new bass head.
      I'm selling this fretless bass as I'm predominantly using fretted basses now. It is a few years old, and I've recently set it up with new Daddario round wound strings, strap locks and a leather strap. In very good condition, with marks on visible on close-up, with little fingerboard wear. It has a 2 band preamp of treble and bass boost and cut, running to 2 single coil pickups. There is also a piezo pickup built in, which offers a huge variety in tone with the piezo tone control, and blended into the two other pickups, or just used on its own for that upright-ish sound. Has lines running down the side to help with intonation. Extended range fingerboard - 30 fret positions.
      Cash on collection, pick up from Liverpool or Wigan.
      Any questions please do not hesitate to get in touch!  

• By BCH
      Price Drop: £2200
      This is my stunning Enfield Cannon 4 string bass with Super 8 pickup & case. I was very lucky to buy this new in 2010, its in excellent condition & has been kept in a smoke free studio. It is set up by Auden guitars.
      Martin Simms designed this unique bass in 2008, the quality of components, build & finish is of the highest quality. Martin has finished 3 of my basses over the years. I view him as one of the top bass luthiers. The Cannon model is top of the range custom built, this one is stunning to look at blending from the sunburst finish front to the blue back...The top is made from English Sycamore that came from Wales. It was from a batch Martin got from a furniture maker who had the wood for over 50 years in his workshop and when he retired sold it on and we were lucky enough to receive a small quantity.   It is fab to play and the sound pallet is vast because of the Super 8 pickup design partnership with John East...any question please contact (  have some 2008+ reviews)..this is a wold class bass & a serious investment (I have inc' the price list which is now £5700), so come and try...this is why its a cash on collection   Some links http://www.enfieldguitars.com/cannon.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBujWmzlUrw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0TsJ8osYoc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx1QIXoALQA

http://www.bassplayer.com/basses/1165/enfield-basses/25905

From Enfield web  Our Enfield Cannon was the first model we launched back in 2008 to showcase our unique Super 8 pickup. Still our flagship model they are built to the highest standard using only our best hand selected timbers. All cannon basses are built to order and are available in either 4, 5 or 6 string models.
      The cannon has been specially designed not only for the pro player but for anyone that seeks the ultimate in sound from their bass. With our Super 8 pickup and it's eight individual coil's along with our uniquely designed pre-amp built to our specifications by the renowned 'John East' ( J-Retro fame ) the cannon is perfect for any gigging or studio situation.
      Cannon Specification's
      Tone chambered body with bespoke hardware designed and produced by Enfield Guitars.
      Standard quarter inch jack and a Balanced XLR output.
      Maple neck with dual action truss rod and 25 med/jumbo frets fitted with custom prepared 'Hipshot' tuners.
      Nut Width's
      4 String Cannon = 44mm

Bass Player Review 2 PDF.pdf
      Enfield instructions page 3.pdf
      Enfield instructions page1.pdf
      Enfield instructions page2.pdf
      Enfield review 3.pdf
      Enfield review 4.pdf
      EnfieldReview1.pdf
    • By foxyFuze
      Open to sale and trade offers!   I picked this up in a trade and found I actually preferred the tonal variation and weight to my 91 Les Paul Custom (3 times the price) so off my LP went! For my limited guitar use I think I prefer single coil, hence me wanting to trade or sell this.   It is a fine example from a British luthier. With twin humbuckers and coil tap, this has a range of great tones. There are a couple of small dinks near the bridge, one on the neck and a wee chip on the headstock, but it's in good condition otherwise aside from the usual very minor marks as befits an instrument this age. Frets and electronics are in excellent condition. If you want to pay for brand over performance, look elsewhere. This is a gem that beats far more expensive rivals. To buy a new one will set you back around £2000, it seems.   Trials over a brew and biscuit in Bristol are most welcome.   Have a look at this video to see it in action:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxn5hYLUj0k

• By nickmew
      Reduced Again Now £1800 including shipping in UK, Europe by negotiation
      Unfortunately need to shift this now
      Sad it has come to this, but I'm afraid I've come to the conclusion that 5 strings, at least for fretless are not for me. Therefore I'm offering up my beautiful Rob Allen MB-2 5 string for someone with more patience / talent to enjoy.
      It has a gorgeous flame / figured walnut top on an alder body, walnut neck with a cocobolo fingerboard. Plays like butter and has got that fantastic acoustic sounding 'mwah' thing going on as you'd expect from a Rob Allen. It's not mint but in good condition with no significant dings
      Currently strung with the clear tape wound 760 La Bella's rather than the blacks that you usually see. Comes with Rob Allen branded Levy's gig bag, matching walnut thumb rest (currently not fitted)
      Not really looking for trades, unless someone out there has a nice 4 string MB-2 / Deep 4 and they want an extra string.
      Couple of stock images of the actual bass below my own pictures that do it more justice
      As it's an expensive item and I don't have a hard case, collection preferred (or I can travel to deliver within reason), but will be willing to pack properly and ship if necessary. Shipping included for UK, elsewhere cost when we work out what it'll cost!