Why become a member? Read more... ×
Basschat Podcast: Episode 2 Read more... ×
p90fool

SOLD Wal Custom Fretless PRICE DROP! £3750
£4000

Posted (edited)

Due to various tedious household repairs sadly it's time to sell my old Wal Custom. It's been in my family since around March 1982 and is unmodified.

It's a fretless 4-string in African walnut with an ebony fingerboard. It's generally in very good condition and plays very well. It has a few small dings and the lacquer has gone cloudy in a few places, which only really shows up in natural light, but considering it's approaching 40 years old it's really nice. 

The electrics work perfectly and were overhauled by Pete the Fish in around 2003.

Serial Number is PB1813, it's signed and dated 2/9/80 by Wal himself and includes the original brown Wal case. 

Feel free to ask any questions, I can also take more detailed pics of any specific parts. 

I'm in mid Wales but do travel a fair bit, and I'm asking for £3750. 

Cheers, Julian

IMG_20180426_140735842.jpg

IMG_20180426_140645306.jpg

IMG_20170808_095410385.jpg

IMG_20180426_140452112.jpg

IMG_20180426_140749991.jpg

IMG_20180426_141246055.jpg

IMG_20180426_140943870.jpg

IMG_20180426_140615463.jpg

Edited by p90fool
  • Like 2

That's something really special! What a beautifull Wal & a true piece of history. That letter is just hilarious, good old Pete. Bless him.

• Like 1

Brings back memories 😍

I remember Selling this bass to Penny in early 80’s. 

I recorded a few jingles on it back in the day. 

Glad you have looked after it. 

• Like 1

Wow that's awesome, I often wondered whether it was originally built for you, as it had your name on the neck! Hope you're keeping well, and I assume you're still playing? 

I'm sorry to say Penny lost her battle with cancer last year.

We were playing in the same band when she bought the Wal from you in 1982.

It really was her pride and joy, and a big part of her identity for all those years. The fact that she had a fretless Wal Custom and a knackered Hillman Imp proved that she had her priorities in the correct order. Thanks so much for getting in touch,

Cheers, Julian.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of Penny’s battle. So many of my friends and family are affected by that curse. 

I will try and upload a jingle I used the Wal on sometime. 

• Like 1

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By papaya
      Hi,

Up for sale my unique Sandberg California VT5 in mint condition (absoultely no dings, scratches, etc.)
      Zebra, yellow-neon, one-of-a-kind custom ordered finish.
      Ebony (also a custom option) fingerboard, ash body, maple neck (with some bird's eyes on it). 
      Delano pickups, active/passive mode, black hardware.
      Original soft case (Sandberg) also included.

Safe shipping is not a problem (even if there is no hard case for the instrument), I have years of experience in that...

No trades please, I need cash this time  ... but the price is negotiable.

Thanks for looking, if you have any questions please P.M. me.
      Joni

• By Acebassmusic
      I've reduced my Ritter down to £5,600 Trade offers welcome.

Here’s something you don’t see up for sale everyday……a Ritter! Not only that, it’s a 10th Anniversary Limited Edition from 2007……and its number 1 of 10.  I have taken great care of this bass and it in mint condition only having had light use. I am the second owner and bought the bass in July 2008. It comes with the original certificate of authenticity, truss rod tools and lightweight Ritter case as shown in one of the links below. I'm open to partial / full trades. Lets see what ya' got.

The Roya has a one piece quilted redwood top, one piece flamed maple back. The flame maple back is by far the most 3d piece of flamed maple I've seen. Flamed maple neck with an ebony fretboard and a 24K solid gold sword inlay at the 12th fret. The electronics are active / passive.

Shape: Roya
      Number of Strings: 5
      Scale 35" (889mm)
      17.5mm string spacing at the bridge
      Hardware : Gold
      Body-Wood: Flamed Maple - One Piece
      Body-Top: Quilted Redwood - One Piece
      Body-Finish: Transparent High Gloss
      Neck-Wood: Maple Construction Bolt on 3-Piece
      Neck-Finish: Transparent High Gloss
      Fingerboard: Ebony
      Electronics: RITTER MASTER Parametric
      Pickup Bridge position: RITTER MASTER Triple/Slim with ebony cover
      Pickup Neck position: RITTER MASTER Triple/Slim with ebony cover
      Weight 4,2 ( 9.24 lbs)
      Bridge / String Attachment: Ritter 3D / B1 String Attachment
      Tuners: RITTER BT - Custom made by Gotoh
      Nut: Bone
      Strap Buttons: Schaller Security Locks
      Special Features: 10th Anniversary 24K Gold Inlay Limited Edition Nr. 1/10

Link to my Google photos album : https://goo.gl/photo...qNUK1UxboVm4sy7
      Ritter 10th Anniversary Bass Page : https://ritter-instr...dition-10th.php
      Ritter 10th Anniversary Bass Page showing my bass and me (hopefully that won’t put you off!) : https://ritter-instr..._info.php?i=273
      This is an album of photos I found on the net (my bass but not my photos) which shows the case it comes with : https://get.google.c...lK5Z?source=pwa
      Similar Ritter 10th Anniversary Bass on Reverb website : https://reverb.com/i...maple-bass-2006

• By Touchwood
      I am selling this for the family of a friend who has recently passed away. I have got  permission from the Admin (ped) to place this ad.
      1987 Mk1Custom
      Brazilian Mahogany core
      Canadian 'Birdseye' Maple faces
      Indian Rosewood F/Board
      Full Flightcase
      Slight crack to front facing (cosmetic only)
      This bass was made by Ian Waller for a friend who has recently passed away and has had one owner from new.
      This is the first EVER Wal with a lacquer finish and was the start of Wal offering a lacquer finish option.
      Collection from Kendal, UK, or will ship for cost of shipping.