Why become a member? Read more... ×
Basschat podcast: Episode 3 Read more... ×
p90fool

SOLD Wal Custom Fretless PRICE DROP! £3750
£4000

Due to various tedious household repairs sadly it's time to sell my old Wal Custom. It's been in my family since around March 1982 and is unmodified.

It's a fretless 4-string in African walnut with an ebony fingerboard. It's generally in very good condition and plays very well. It has a few small dings and the lacquer has gone cloudy in a few places, which only really shows up in natural light, but considering it's approaching 40 years old it's really nice. 

The electrics work perfectly and were overhauled by Pete the Fish in around 2003.

Serial Number is PB1813, it's signed and dated 2/9/80 by Wal himself and includes the original brown Wal case. 

Feel free to ask any questions, I can also take more detailed pics of any specific parts. 

I'm in mid Wales but do travel a fair bit, and I'm asking for £3750. 

Cheers, Julian

IMG_20180426_140735842.jpg

IMG_20180426_140645306.jpg

IMG_20170808_095410385.jpg

IMG_20180426_140452112.jpg

IMG_20180426_140749991.jpg

IMG_20180426_141246055.jpg

IMG_20180426_140943870.jpg

IMG_20180426_140615463.jpg

Edited by p90fool
  • Like 2

That's something really special! What a beautifull Wal & a true piece of history. That letter is just hilarious, good old Pete. Bless him.

• Like 1

Brings back memories 😍

I remember Selling this bass to Penny in early 80’s. 

I recorded a few jingles on it back in the day. 

Glad you have looked after it. 

• Like 1

Wow that's awesome, I often wondered whether it was originally built for you, as it had your name on the neck! Hope you're keeping well, and I assume you're still playing? 

I'm sorry to say Penny lost her battle with cancer last year.

We were playing in the same band when she bought the Wal from you in 1982.

It really was her pride and joy, and a big part of her identity for all those years. The fact that she had a fretless Wal Custom and a knackered Hillman Imp proved that she had her priorities in the correct order. Thanks so much for getting in touch,

Cheers, Julian.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of Penny’s battle. So many of my friends and family are affected by that curse. 

I will try and upload a jingle I used the Wal on sometime. 

• Like 1

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By alembic1989
      Reluctantly selling this babe of a bass. In really nice condition for its age. Everything works as it should.
      Has one of the nicest feeling necks I've ever played.
      Inside of control cavity cover is signed by Billy Sheehan.
      I really don't want to post ad I have no case...but could perhaps be persuaded.
      Would prefer local pick up , or arrange to meet halfway...speak to me.
      Looking for a sale as I'm looking to buy a motorbike!
      More photos available on request.
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/3WXPaLEsd1dYmo6C6
    • By noise_art
      PRICEDROP - 800!

Hello guys!

I've decided to put my Mayones BE5 Fretless for sale. I am the second owner, this bass has been built in 2012 (as I know these basses) it's a good one.
      Plays well, I've bought it in order to do some "mwaaah" in studio mainly. Did some recordings, I am no longer use this bass as it deserves.

There's some  marks on ebony board, but it's straight, bass comes with semi-flat strings (used!).

Overall is in good condition. I think this "older line" is nicer than nowdays, new owner will be satisfied I belive. Few marks but nothing special

- mahogany/maple neck
      - ovankol body
      - WSC hardware
      - Bartolini pickups
      - Mayones 9v pre
      - ebony unlined fretboard (side dots)

I can ship it anywhere in EU, we can discuss rates.

Cheers!

SOUNDSAMPLES:

Raesonable trades welcome! 

• By jmlbasses
      Hi, I'm sorry for my english.

This bass comes from a luthier shop in Madrid. Only tried by some customers, so we're talking about condition ex-demo at the price of used.
      I'm looking for  1000€ (Do the conversion yourself to pounds.)

4 strings
      Alder body (2 pieces)
      Ebony Top - Special Selection
      Double binding maple and ebony
      Maple neck - Special Selection
      Carbon fiber reinforcements
      Ebony fingerboard
      Bone nut
      Nordstrand pills
      HipShot fittings
      Mirror Finish Nitro
      Weight 3,930Kg
      Gig Bag semi-rigid included

More info:
      http://www.guitarbassluthier.com/gb-custom-built-todobajos-ebano

• By AntWPF
      ^^^^IGNORE THAT PRICE^^^^^^
      PRICE DROP: £1200
      A reluctant sale of one of the most beautiful basses I have owned:
      Serial number:
      D 143113 08 Article number:
      0415050001BZZEBOWW   produced:
      -> 2008-04-08 Description:
      CO Infinity SN TCS, 5-string
      Natural Oil finish
      Zebrano body
      Ovangkol neck
      Black hardware  

Made in Germany   Marks and dings are as pictured, the marks on the fingers board were harder to capture, however in it's previous ownership somebody has been doing some string bending, the playing is not effected at all and might I add this is a wonderfully well built and great sounding bass. I bought this from Bass Centre in 2010 and it has been played and loved.   The only issue it has is with the volume knob; when it is set to 0%(Full Anti-Clockwise Turn) it seems to think it is at about 40% volume, then it increases normally until it eventually hits 100%, as it continues to turn it then cuts out, then starts at 0% and finally finishing on the 40% at full turn clockwise.I've never had a knob do this however I imagine it needs a totally new push pull knob. Hopefully that made sense, the volume knob is still usable, it has even been gigged like this a few times. I might fix it however I am completely tied up in my work for the new charity I am launching relating to Musicians and Mental Health, really can't give too much away on that just yet, I will though throughout this forum when I can and where I am of course allowed.

Thank you for looking.