Why become a member? ×

String/Mod Options for Down Tuning a 4 String (Drop A)

progben

Hello all,

After years of E A D G bliss, I've been recruited for a project where I'll be playing in Drop A ( A E A D ) woahh O.o and, as such, I'm after a bit of guidance.

NB: I'd like to keep playing my current 4 string basses, rather than buy a 5 string.

After some preliminary reading, I've come to the conclusion that:

• I need thicker strings to be able to comfortably hold that tuning
  • I'll 100% need to modify the nut to fit these strings at the headstock
  • I'll most likely need to modify the bridge to get the string to sit properly

The nut mod is no problem, but ideally I'd like to keep the bridge as original as possible. 

I've seen some strings which have exposed cores down by the bridge. Would these allow for me to keep the bridge as is, and just make the modification to the nut where the string is thickest?

Any help in this area would be really appreciated! xD

The bridge issue will depend on whether the anchor holes are big enough to allow the thicker strings to pass through. Typically on a 4 string they aren't in my experience but you might be lucky. Exposed core strings should take care of everything else with respect to the bridge.

2 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

The bridge issue will depend on whether the anchor holes are big enough to allow the thicker strings to pass through. Typically on a 4 string they aren't in my experience but you might be lucky. Exposed core strings should take care of everything else with respect to the bridge.

Cheers Bigwan. I suspect that I'm not one of the lucky ones. Do you have any recommendations in regards to the exposed core strings?

I had several BEAD 4 stringers, to be honest I did not have to make mods at all, the bidge fit and so did the nut.

If this were me I would buy a reasonably light BEAD set (5 string set, delete the G string) 0.125 or 0.130 max. In my experience you most times do not need to mod.

Whether a 34"A sounds very good I will leave to your ears, for me I would go with a 35" neck which is one of the reasons I ended up going 5 string many years ago now.

• Like 1

Just talk to Newtone Strings and let them know what you're trying to achieve. String tension isn't about gauge, it's about core size.

So you could probably opt for a BEAD set, but quite a light gauge, but have a thicker core. Mean's you'd have minimal work to get the nut to play ball, and wouldn't have a massive B string flapping around where a 125 might do the job!

Si

• Like 1