Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Extension cab ideas for Markbass CMD 102P

wibble

Hi,

I've got a Markbass CMD 102P and while the volume's there for my live work, at some of the slighty bigger gigs I've been doing  I've felt I've needed a bit more body to the sound.

So, I'm mulling over adding an extension cab and intend to try a 1x15 and a 2x10, to see which I prefer. However, I'm wondering about a 4 x 10 cab instead (and maybe not using the speakers on the combo). My thinking is that, when I could afford it, I'd buy an amp head for the 4 x 10 and, in the meantime, I'd have a lot of flexibility (and the bigger sound I'm after).

I'd appreciate any views on the wisdom (or lack of it) of using a 4x10 as an extension, please.

Cheers, Pete.

Edited by wibble

Not knowing the CMD102 combo that well I`m assuming from the above that you can disconnect the speakers on it. If so then disconnecting these and plugging in the 410 will essentially "double" your current sound, again with an assumption that the 410 you get will be the same speakers as what are in the CMD, and that the cab is voiced similarly. So that will work. You`d also have the option of plugging in the 410 as well - if it`s an 8ohm cab - so then you`d have the 210 of the combo and the 410 of the cab. The speakers in the combo will effectively be getting twice the power of those in the cab but then they are meant to handle the power of the combo-head anyway, and being that much higher you`ll be able to hear yourself a lot better. The only possible problem I can think of is something called - I think - out of phase coupling, something like that, where the two sets of speakers aren`t working properly together.

In all honesty if you like your sound from the CMD, I`d look at getting the matching 210 - you`re doubling up on the same sound, and doing that really makes a difference. I did the same on my old CMD121P, I added the NY121 cab and the silly grin it put on my face was, well, rather silly. It makes a hell of a difference adding in the same cab again.

I had a CMD102P. Like Lozz says, the best option to get more of the same is to add a 102 STD & stack them vertically. 

You can remove the head, but you’ll need to make a cover for the top if you plan on using it out the house (you can make it out of practically anything).

Thanks guys - much appreciated. 

Planning to get to Bass Direct and seeing if I can try the permutations out - my feeling is to go for an additional  2x10 (a lot depends on when i could get an amp head (if i was to go for a 4x10). If it would be ages, then it would probably make sense to get a 2x10 and then think again in a year . . . 

A STD102HF would be the ideal extension cab for your combo. With the combo head able to deliver its full 500 watt output you will have enough power for any reasonable gig either inside or out. Festival stages should provide PA support and your rig will be plenty for stage volumes. 

• 1 month later...

I tried the 102P recently and loved it A LOT  but already had the K1 with the newly designed 12 inch and 5 inch drivers. So I bought a 102P cab. The sound is now not just louder but bigger! Nothing wrong with more of the same but I think it's worth experimenting with other speakers for the sake of flexibility and range.

1 hour ago, TrevorG said:

I tried the 102P recently and loved it A LOT  but already had the K1 with the newly designed 12 inch and 5 inch drivers. So I bought a 102P cab. The sound is now not just louder but bigger! Nothing wrong with more of the same but I think it's worth experimenting with other speakers for the sake of flexibility and range.

It can be, but the downside is you don't know if it's gonna work until you try it & different cabs at different venues can sound greatly different from one another.  Also, having different cabs can cause dead spots.

• Like 1

I owned a CMD102P for many years along with several Markbass cabs. You can link it to any 8 ohm Markbass cab they all should great. I bought it with a STD 115HF which sounded massive. I also used it with a STD 102HF, a TRV121H, a TRV151P, and a  STD104HR. 

I loved the sound with the bigger STD 151HF and STD 104HR cabs, but even though they were lightweight Neo cabs they were quite large to lug around. 

Soundwise the STD104HR was my probably my favourite, but the STD102HF and TRV102H, ran a close second but were much more portable.I had nine bits of Markbass kit and have only retained a mini121P combo and TRV121H cab which are great. My least preferred extension cab was the TRV151P, but even that was pretty good.

The 102P is probably the best combo I have owned and I have had a few, try as many cabs as you can. If buying again I would add a STD102HF. 

The common theme here is that in my opinion any H designated cabs with controllable compression drivers are better than the P designated cabs with Piezo Tweeters. 

I have disconnected the tweeter in my Mini121P, and control the highs with my extension cab. I would have done the same with my 102P. The tweeters can be a little hissy and distort at higher volumes whereas the compression drivers sound cleaner and clearer

Good hunting.