Why become a member? ×

Black Fender Tolex Case, I need the key number please?

yorks5stringer

I have just had a NBD (more to follow tomorrow)  and the case had obviously been locked and the key lost as the catches have been forced. Although the case is a standard pattern black tolex case with stitching and the white piping, it has 'Made in England' on the hinges and Cheney round button brass locks. Any ideas how I can ID a key as Cheney made around 10..? Just looked at my other old case and it is identical with Cheney locks too. Shame I don't have a key for that either. I'll post a photo tomorrow because someone else may have the same case and can tell me what No key...

Edited by yorks5stringer

Running a quick search on ebay for 'cheney key' brings up quite a few. Is there a number on the lock somewhere? You could try contacting Abbey who seem to be the supplier for Cheney locks - [email protected]

http://abbeyengland.com/Store/List/1/CategoryID/423/Level/a

Failing all else a paperclip usually does the trick on most guitar cases!

I've got two Fender tolex cases with keys, one is a G&G for my AVRI Jazz but the other case is a more recent one. I'll check the keys out later to see if that helps and let you know (I've got a guitar one too) They are dead easy to pick with a paperclip though.

18 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Dead easy to pick those locks - I think that there's only 1 tumbler - don't know why they even bother fitting them.

Yep, a paperclip does the trick fine but the reason for the lock isn't to make stealing harder, IMO it's just so the catches don't open whilst transporting (those kind of catches are very easy to open even by themselves). That would end badly...