Why become a member? ×

Eh up from Cheshire

rushscored4

Hi, my name's Iain and I'm a bassaholic. I started playing bass as a 14 year old in Liverpool in originals bands in the late 70s / early 80s era at the same venues as the Bunnymen, Teardrop Explodes, Pete Wylie, OMD, Flock of Seagulls, etc. Back then I played an all black Ibanez Roadster II with a H|H head and 4x10 cab. Completely self taught using a pick and inspired by the likes of Jean Jacques Brunel, Paul Simonon and Adam Clayton at the time.

Inevitably life, two wives (both mine but not at the same time), four kids and work got in the way and I stopped playing from my mid 20s until I put an old band together for my 40th birthday party. Since then I've regularly supported a singer guitarist on bass but for the past four years I've been gigging most weekends with a 5/6 piece covers band in the pubs and clubs of north west England. These days I'm more inspired by the likes of James Jamerson and love that vintage Motown bass groove.

My main weapon of choice now is a blue hardcore aged Sandberg California II TM4 (pic attached from PMT Manchester before I bought it) but I seem to have somehow acquired around 10 other basses over the past few years including a fabulous MIM Fender Precision Nate Mendel signature model. My go-to amp is an Ampeg PF-50T with matching fliptop PF-115HE cab but I've also got a PF-350 solid state head when I need more oomph plus a TC BG250-208 for smaller gigs and rehearsals and two Fender 100 Rumbles (original and V3) with a handful of different pedals I bought but rarely use. As I've put in another thread, I've just ordered the new Rumble 800 Stage which should arrive mid-March. Another GAS casualty here...

Since relearning the bass I play with my fingers not a pick but my right hand technique was pretty poor to begin with, using mainly my thumb and index finger. It's improved massively by gigging regularly but I should probably have some proper lessons even though I'm 54 now!

Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome so far. I look forward to being a regular contributor after years of lurking.

image.jpeg