Why become a member? ×

Hi from Devon!

Chris1127

Hey everyone, been lurking for a while picking up bits of info from the forums so thought it was about time I said Hi really. Am 31, from Devon and been playing bass on and off for about 7 years. Played guitar for a while before that and still enjoy a strum. Currently playing in a blues-rock band doing a bunch of originals and some covers, but previous bands have been playing/singing in a shouty hardcore band (on temporary hiatus) and before that the same in a kind of fun punk covers band so a bit of a mix really!!
Current setup is an early Ibanez ATK 300 4 stringer in natural wood, and bar a brief stint before that on an unbranded musicman copy it is the only bass I have owned. Just love the whole thing - fat tone, heavy but balanced bass and unique looks. Currently going through a Hughes and Kettner Bassbase 250 2x10 combo - which I've just agreed to sell - also have a TNT115 Peavey and G120 Laney but currently in the process of trading the lot up for components for a stack - so far managed to bag a Trace Elliot rackmount GP12smx pre-amp and just starting to look for the rest. Intention is something in the way of 600w power amp running a Black Widow 1x15 and a BW 2x10. Previous rigs include a Trace Elliot V-type 600h through a rewired BFC cab - the head I have regretted selling from the minute I parted with it. The cab was a monster though and I don't miss luggin that about!!!
Look forward to chatting with you all!!

first impressions are positive - looks arent exactly what I was after but price made it unmissable really :) I wanted it for a second bass to take to parties and outdoor gigs really, to try to preserve my ibanez a bit. Not mad on the black headstock/hardware, and a wierd pearlescent scratchplate but they may yet be replaced (the scratchplate definitely!!) - thinking of stripping the body and headstock back to bare wood and staining and waxing the body, and going for chrome hardware. Have to see how it sounds plugged in before I start thinking about the pickup... so much for a cheap second bass :huh:
Feels nice to play so far, its sooo light after my ibanez, neck is nice and slim and feels pretty well balanced - action is pretty well set for me too and no buzzing. too late to plug it in now but will give it a try cranked up tomorrow.

[quote name='Chris1127' post='332739' date='Nov 19 2008, 11:13 PM']Not mad on the black headstock/hardware, and a wierd pearlescent scratchplate but they may yet be replaced (the scratchplate definitely!!)[/quote]

I'd looked at the black one and cringed at that scratchplate too :huh:

I thought the flame natural with the tortie guard looked nice, though...

I'm a sucker for natural finish - my main bass is a gunstock oiled swamp ash IB604 - that's my idea of a good looking bass! But I've always fancied a Stingray just for that wonderful bite in the upper midrange. I wonder if the OLP pickup does it? - can't wait for your report on it plugged in :)

well, gave it a try last night through my new trace/peavey stack - wierd after only ever playing one bass for so long. Really nice to play - neck feels a lot slimmer than the ibanez and noticed how much lighter it was after four hours of practicing!! Sound wise it doesn't compete with the ibanez at the moment - a bit of an unfair comparison as the ibanez is active I know, and is a much heavier bass as well; but the OLP has potential I think. Sounds a bit "muddy" in comparison - lacks either the low end punch or the high end clarity of the ibanez but does have a really lovely warm midrange sound in comparison - worked well through the valve preamp setting on the trace - it just lacks clarity and "oomph" for want of a better word. I think to be happy in the long run though I'm gonna need to get the router out and look at an active setup :)
Can't fault it otherwise thogh, held its tune perfectly, no nasty noises, very pleased with it.
Ordered a sheet of black scratchplate material yesterday too so hopefully will be losing the hideous pearlescent thing soon

the IB sounds nice - i was thinking of a stained green oiled finish if I do strip this bass. Any pics on here?

[quote name='Chris1127' post='334350' date='Nov 22 2008, 12:16 PM']it just lacks clarity and "oomph" for want of a better word.
the IB sounds nice - i was thinking of a stained green oiled finish if I do strip this bass. Any pics on here?[/quote]

Lack of clarity and oomph was just what I was afraid of :)

I keep meaning to take some decent pics of my own IB (which has gold hardware) but here's the stock one off the Indie website:

Doesn't show the nice, plain maple headstock with Indie in abalone to match the position markers - reinforced hard maple neck.