Why become a member? ×

Zoom B1on noisy?

dave_bass5

Got one of these the other day and i was expecting got hear more or less what my B3n produces. I’m was surprised at Howe ‘buzzy’ this is. Soem of the built in patches are very, noisy, and these don’t even have any OD or high gain. In fact even without a bass on the other end of the lead the unit is very noisy. 

Turning the master level down helps, but I’m wondering if this is normal. It’s definitely noisier than my B3n. Just running off batteries so no mains noise etc. 

• 4 years later...

Edit!!!: Misread the headline and OP

New, on topic, edit:

Neither my B1Xon or G1Xon are noisy, not at all

Original post text:

Both my B1 Four and G1 Four are noisy, seriously suck tone, clips easily, the horrible digital kind of clipping that is, and generally sounds pretty crappy, very unlike my previous generation, now discontinued, G1Xon and B1Xon, which I love and both sounds amazing, playing a quite central role in my setup (that is the B1Xon, the G1Xon is just kept as a backup should my B1Xon at some point stop working, both loaded with my own custom selection of that generation Zoom effect models (same as the current production Zoom multi stomp boxes), via the 3rd party unofficial Zoom Effect Manager hack program).

In my opinion the new generation of Zoom digital multi effects is a huge leap backwards, more reminiscent of the horrible digital multi effects they put out in the 90's.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/08/2022 at 15:45, Baloney Balderdash said:

Both my B1 Four and G1 Four are noisy, seriously suck tone, clips easily, the horrible digital kind of clipping that is, and generally sounds pretty crappy, very unlike my previous generation, now discontinued, G1Xon and B1Xon, which I love and both sounds amazing, playing a quite central role in my setup (that is the B1Xon, the G1Xon is just kept as a backup should my B1Xon at some point stop working, both loaded with my own custom selection of that generation Zoom effect models (same as the current production Zoom multi stomp boxes), via the 3rd party unofficial Zoom Effect Manager hack program).

In my opinion the new generation of Zoom digital multi effects is a huge leap backwards, more reminiscent of the horrible digital multi effects they put out in the 90's.

Exactly my experience. Own a B3, MS-60B, MS-50G, G1xon (previous gen, all but the B3 "hacked" with a combination of guitar and bass model FX) and a B1Xfour (new gen). The four sounds THIN and BOXY, and more noisy in comparison. It also messes with/buries the timbre/character of my instruments, makes them all sound generic. Also it annoys me the BASS-PEQ is single band now, so with the constant need for EQ correction and ZNR you end up wasting slots you wouldn't waste in the previous gen (still, probably you can somehow inject the A1four/Xfour's PEQ, which is 2-band, to mitigate the loss). I've gone so paranoid as to get a second B1Xfour (just in case I'd had a lemon with the first one I got -long gone-). Don't get me wrong, it does the job competently enough with enough tweaking. And I'll keep the four this time. But it still sucks every time I A/B it with any of my previous gen gadgets (I've spent over 20 hours doing so).

Edited by andruca
  • Like 1