Why become a member? ×

Ashdown LB212 cab

owenojo

Hi there,

Hopefully someone could help me with a quick technical question!

I have an older Ashdown Evo II 300w head, which i used to use with a pair of MAG cabs. I sold those long ago and replaced them with a then new LB212 cab which I do believe are rather rare?

Cab has never left the house but I am looking to use it live soon - as Ive never really run it up to a decent volume, i'm wondering if i'm "safe" using the ABM head with it, as the cab is 4ohm, with a pair of 150w speakers in it, so id be pumping the full 300w from the head into it. 

Would I be right in assuming its ok as long as Im not running the head at full volume (I can't see myself ever needing to do this)

Cheers!

The LB 212 is indeed a rare beast. Depending on which bit of t'Internet you believe only 20 or 40 were made, so essentially a prototype. It's rated at 300w and 4 Ohms Impedence, exactly the same as your head, so although it is voiced for the LB range of amps, it's fine with your Evo.

At the end of the day, let your ears judge.

Ashdown didn't help their cause by writing a rating of 100w on some of these - mine was 100w, 4 ohm,  but they are 300w. They're a nice cab. WAY heavier than advertised, but great vintage tones out of them. 20 was the number I had heard. If it starts to sound like it's struggling then turn it down. 

Thank you for the helpful replies!

Yes mine was described as 300w online when I bought it, but has 100w penciled in on the jack plate - which itself is confusing as it claims the cab was part of the USA series.... I remember removing a speaker to check the wattage. Its certainly not a lightweight cab which was rather disappointing at the time, but its not too bad, seems lighter than the old chipboard carpet covered MAG's