Why become a member? ×

Fender Musicmaster bass

BassBus

On a recent visit to London I naturally had a scout around the music shops in Tottenham Court Road and Denmark Street. I think it was in Macari's window I spied a Fender Musicmaster bass. To my utter amazement it was priced at £795! I bought one of these around 1980 and sold it on probably two or three years later. I paid about £125 at that time.

My query is this, are these really collectable enough to command that kind of price or is this a music shop having a laugh? I certainly would not pay anything near that price. I mean you could buy a Squire VM of some sort and probably get a bass that is as good or better.

Edited by BassBus

[quote name='BassBus' post='330035' date='Nov 16 2008, 11:44 AM']On a recent visit to London I naturally had a scout around the music shops in Tottenham Court Road and Denmark Street. I think it was in Macari's window I spied a Fender Musicmaster bass. To my utter amazement it was priced at £795! I bought one of these around 1980 and sold it on probably two or three years later. I paid about £125 at that time.

My query is this, are these really collectable enough to command that kind of price or is this a music shop having a laugh? I certainly would not pay anything near that price. I mean you could buy a Squire VM of some sort and probably get a bass that is as good or better.[/quote]

I think £350 - £450 is about right.

It surprises me that they are going for those kind of prices. They weren't bad basses but fetching £400 ain't bad for a bass that age. Just shows you if there is someone willing to pay what you want, it's just finding that person. I bet there are a lot of people selling houses who would like to meet that person right now.