Why become a member? ×

Amp and Speakons

jonnythenotes

I have an Ashdown ABM 600 with two speakon connectors on the rear panel, and also an 8ohm speaker cab with two speakons at the back. Can I plug both speakon cables from the amp into both of the cab inputs? Normally I would plug my second cab in to get the full welly out of the amp, but I am curious about what will happen if I connected them the way mentioned above.  After years of having amps with only one speakon output, and seeing two on the Ashdown has made me ask what is probably a very foolish question...PS, the cab I am referring too can handle 1000 watts, so should handle the Ashdown.. 

The two outputs of the amp are simply wired in parallel.  Unless you are using bellwire cables it is quite sufficient to use just a single cable between the amp and the cab.  Adding a second cable will serve no useful purpose.

8 hours ago, jonnythenotes said:

Thanks Chris. I thought that perhaps by using two outputs/inputs, I would get the full 4ohms out of the cab.. 

Sorry, doesn't work like that. An 8 ohm cab can only be 8 ohms. 

The difference between 4 ohms and 8 ohms is not that big and won't sound twice as loud, but if you add a second cab you'll sound louder and get a better tone, because of the extra drivers moving more air.

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

Sorry, doesn't work like that. An 8 ohm cab can only be 8 ohms. 

The difference between 4 ohms and 8 ohms is not that big and won't sound twice as loud, but if you add a second cab you'll sound louder and get a better tone, because of the extra drivers moving more air.

Now I'm confused. I use a 750 watt zgK head 1 speakon to a 2 x 10  GK RBX cab and the other speakon to a 1x15 RBX cab?

Blue

IMG_20170630_213231021.jpg

I don't understand what you're confused about.

Looks like you are daisy chaining 2 8 ohm cab, or maybe you are running 2 leads from the amp, one to each cab. Both of those ways of cabling cabs looks the same to the amp, and that looks like 4 ohms to your amp. Blue, what is the problem?

Edited by chris_b

16 hours ago, chris_b said:

I don't understand what you're confused about.

Looks like you are daisy chaining 2 8 ohm cab, or maybe you are running 2 leads from the amp, one to each cab. Both of those ways of cabling cabs looks the same to the amp, and that looks like 4 ohms to your amp. Blue, what is the problem?

Is there any issues or problem cwith the way I'm doing it?

Blue

5 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Is there any issues or problem cwith the way I'm doing it?

Blue

Blue, you're good.

I believe the question I was answering was, can you get 4 ohms out of an amp by using 2 cables from both outputs on the amp into both inputs on an 8 ohm cab cab.