Why become a member? ×

geddy lee

jerseytrev

hi i see a lot of people rate the fender geddy lee sig bass ,right colour for me too .is there any common faults on this bass or short comings . also the marcus miller sig . which is the most popular with you ? sorry for all the questions ,just trying to get a good picture of the models availiable .

[quote name='budget bassist' post='329835' date='Nov 15 2008, 08:17 PM']I have no problem switching between a musicman and a jazz, though i'd reccommend trying first to see how you cope.[/quote]
Funnily enough, I have no problem with me KSD Jazz, but I did with the Ged. Cracking basses though. Didn't notice it 'tell the 'Ray came along. Indeed - try some.

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='jerseytrev' post='329785' date='Nov 15 2008, 06:46 PM']hi i see a lot of people rate the fender geddy lee sig bass ,right colour for me too .is there any common faults on this bass or short comings . also the marcus miller sig . which is the most popular with you ? sorry for all the questions ,just trying to get a good picture of the models availiable .[/quote]

dunno mate, but i do like the bass in your avatar :) never seen a a corvette $$ in that colour, i really like it.

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='329858' date='Nov 15 2008, 08:46 PM']dunno mate, but i do like the bass in your avatar :) never seen a a corvette $$ in that colour, i really like it.[/quote]
antique tobacco is the colour got it from the bass centre ,love the colour matches the neck .

Edited by jerseytrev

[quote name='johnnylager' post='329817' date='Nov 15 2008, 07:58 PM']The Ged is a nice bass & seems to hold its value reasonably. Titchy neck though which, I may add, was fine until I inherited a 'Ray and started swapping between the 2! Apparently the new ones have a satin neck which must make it even better...[/quote]
mmm might have problems with my warwick then ,does it distort being that thin as my warwick stays in tune for ages

I've had two, but sold one as I didn't really need two.

They are great basses for the money and everyone who has played mine has loved them.

The necks are very thin indeed. The one I kept has required a little neck/rod adjustment when it has been exposed to extreme temperature changes. The one that I wasn't using didn't like being neglected and ended up with quite a bow in the neck. It took me about two months of gradual truss rod adjustment to correct this before I sold it. It hasn't moved since and is absolutely perfect according to the guy I sold it too.

I have heard of some people having problems with the tuners, but they've ended up fine on both of mine (one set seemed a bit loose at first). Geddy Lee has apparently asked that they be upgraded on the newer ones, so if you find one with a satin neck, that probably has the newer tuners.

Edited by jonsmith

while they are great for the money i will say i had a few small issues with mine!

now im not saying that they're all like mine but....

mine was rather heavy and had a pretty bad problem with noisey pickups/interference

it was however put together very well! especially for the price!

i'd say go and try one or maybe a few of them and find the best one for you!

:)

I've owned both the Geddy & the Miller basses. The Geddy is a lovely looking thing & great sounding. Both have the stock japanese made vintage pickups which are prone to a bit of the earth hum (you don't get this on Americans). The finish on the Geddy is perilously thin. I knocked a lump out of mine on the back & I'm really careful with my instruments! The neck on the Geddy (especially if you use lighter guage strings) is seriously prone to changing shape with the weather due to it being shaved so thin. The finish & detailing on the Miller is astounding & the only real minus is the preamp which can be a bit harsh if you're an eq hooligan like me! I used to run mine passive & put it through my Sadowsky outboard preamp. Fantastic sound!

Rich.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='329958' date='Nov 16 2008, 12:12 AM']I've owned both the Geddy & the Miller basses. The Geddy is a lovely looking thing & great sounding. Both have the stock japanese made vintage pickups which are prone to a bit of the earth hum (you don't get this on Americans). The finish on the Geddy is perilously thin. I knocked a lump out of mine on the back & I'm really careful with my instruments! The neck on the Geddy (especially if you use lighter guage strings) is seriously prone to changing shape with the weather due to it being shaved so thin. The finish & detailing on the Miller is astounding & the only real minus is the preamp which can be a bit harsh if you're an eq hooligan like me! I used to run mine passive & put it through my Sadowsky outboard preamp. Fantastic sound!

Rich.[/quote]
hi rich the miller seems the better option ,like the natural finish too ,i am thinking of getting a sadowsky outboard anyway whatever i get so i think the miller will be on my list of might be's .